Subject: viewing running G98W jobs: summary

From: Ulrike Salzner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 05:36:12 +0000 (GMT)

Hi everybody,

here is a summary of the answers to my question whether there is a way 
view the output file of a running G98W job:
 
I received many replies. Thanks to everybody who responded. The answer to 
the principle question seems to be no. The original file can not be 
opened. I did not find out why I could open the G94W outputs (at least 
most of the time). But there is a very simple way around the problem - 
making a copy of the file, which is permitted by windows, and view the 
copy. This was suggested in about 90% of the replies, including Doug Fox's.

Several people suggested other fixes and these answers are:

> From [email-masked] Wed Sep 22 18:09:29 1999

Sehr geehrte Frau Dr. Salzner

Eine aus meiner Sicht sehr gute Loesung ist Makexyz f=FCr DOS/Windows.=20
Fuer mich hat sich als sehr hilfreich erwiesen, die aktuelle Version des=20
von Dr. Nico v. Eikema Hommes geschriebenen und frei von seiner Homepage=20
herunterladbaren makexyz.f unter Dos/Windows zu kompilieren und
dann in der DOS-Box aufzurufen, ganz wie unter Unix.=20
Dieses Vorgehen ist ohne Probleme auch bei laufenden Jobs moeglich.
Wenn sie moechten kann ich Ihnen gerne das exe-File mailen.

Viele Gr=FC=DFe aus Erlangen

Ralph Puchta=20

> From [email-masked] Wed Sep 22 19:45:53 1999

You can try a program I developed, it may work:
http://www.ifi.unicamp.br/gsonm/logviewer

If it works, please inform ccl list, ok?
Best wishes,
Marcio.

> From [email-masked] Wed Sep 22 20:12:25 1999
From: "Michael D. Bartberger" <[email-masked]>

Hi Ulrike:

You might try opening a DOS prompt in Windows, going into the directory
which contains the output for the running job, and copying the output 
file into a temporary file and then viewing that.  For example,

C:\WINDOWS> cd \myjobdir

C:\MYJOBDIR> copy myjob.out xx.out

Where myjob.out is the file that Windows says is in use, and xx.out
is the copy.   You should be able to use the copy.   

Good luck,
-Michael

+-----------------------------------------------------------------+
| Michael D. Bartberger, Ph.D.                                    |
| NIH Postdoctoral Fellow                      TEL:  310.206.0553 |
| Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry     FAX:  310.206.1843 |
| University of California, Los Angeles                           |
| Los Angeles, California 90095-1569            [email-masked] |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------+

===================================================================

Dr. Ulrike Salzner

Department of Chemistry		Tel.: (312) 290-2122
Bilkent University		Fax.: (312) 266-5097
06533 Bilkent, Ankara 		e-mail: [email-masked]
Turkey

====================================================================