Subject: Linux distributions and FORTRAN (g77)

From: "Mike Falcetta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 14:46:00 -0500 (EST)

Hi.

I am setting up a pentium III system intending to set up LINUX and compiling 
qunatum chemistry codes (e.g. MOLCAS).  I have done this before with Redhat, and
have considered RH 6.0, but have found the egcs g77 (which comes with RedHat) 
gives me some problems (in particaular the code compiles fine, but gives 
terribly wrong answers in several of my calculations, using the same inputs and 
version of the program soem friends have obtained correct results so I am led to
the conclusion that it is likely the compilation/OS)

THus, my question is:  Can anyone recommend a distribution of LINUX that comes 
with a FORTRAN compiler that is fairly robust?  (My system has 256Mbytes of mem 
and perhaps more in the near future and a large IDE hard drive, in case these 
details are important in your considerations) I realize that one can purchase 
Compilers as well, but $ are not exactly falling from the trees, so compilers 
including in the LINUX OS or freely available via ftp are of prime interest. 

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Mike Falcetta
[email-masked]

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ Mike Falcetta           phone: 765-641-4371                +
+ Anderson University     email: [email-masked]  +
+ Anderson, IN  46012                                        +
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++