Subject: Re: CCL:Linux distributions and FORTRAN (g77)

From: Jochen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 09:17:13 +0200

On Son, 26 Sep 1999 Mike Falcetta wrote:

>have considered RH 6.0, but have found the egcs g77 (which comes with RedHat) 
>gives me some problems (in particaular the code compiles fine, but gives 
>terribly wrong answers in several of my calculations, using the same inputs and 
>version of the program soem friends have obtained correct results so I am led to
>the conclusion that it is likely the compilation/OS)

???
What exactly is calculated wrong (internally, not molcas results) ?
Have you submitted a bug report yet ?

We are using g77 on many machines, allmost all of which are running RedHat
distributions. Most are upgraded to run gcc-2.95.1. And we are doing
quite a bit of FORTRAN development (well, it's old code). There are
no problems regarding correctness.

>THus, my question is:  Can anyone recommend a distribution of LINUX that comes 
>with a FORTRAN compiler that is fairly robust?

Any Linux distribution + gcc-2.95.1 is doing well (Here and for others) !

-- Jochen
        Heinrich-Heine-Universität, Institut für Physikalische Chemie I
        Universitätsstr. 1, Geb. 26.43.02.29, 40225 Düsseldorf, Germany
phone 02118113681 fax 02118115195  --  www-public.rz.uni-duesseldorf.de/~jochen
[email-masked] -- [email-masked] -- [email-masked]