Subject: Re: CCL:Power Mac G4, linux and bechmarking

From: Javier Modrego <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 11:30:06 +0200

At 16:08 -0400 27/9/99, Yongxing Liu wrote:

>Dear CCLers,
>
>I would like to know which version of linux is optimized  for
>processors. Does any one have built super clusters with G4? I also want to
>know bechmarking on G4/linux for computational chemistry programs (e.g.
>Charmm, Amber or g2k/g98 etc).
>

There is some impresive information about Power Mac G4 clusters with some
benchmarks in http://exodus.physics.ucla.edu/appleseed/appleseed.html  . In
this page there is also links to others PowerMac  Clusters.
I dont know at the moment about the status of Linux for G4 but you can
check at http://www.linuxppc.org ,  http://www.linuxppc.com/ and
http://www.mklinux.apple.com/ Probably an optimized version for G4 has not
yet been released. It would be nice to know about the performance of the
AltiVec unit.
I wonder if somebody has ported Gaussian to PowerMac Linux (G3). Perhaps
could share the makefiles...

Best wishes,
	Javier

 Dr. F.J. Modrego
 Department of Inorganic Chemistry
 Facultad de Ciencias
 University of Zaragoza
 50071 ZARAGOZA
 SPAIN
 Tel <34>-976-762288
 Fax <34>-976-761187
 E-mail:  [email-masked]