Subject: SUMMARY: Clar's Sextet Theory

From: "C.F. Matta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 10:05:24 -0400 (EDT)

Hi evreyone,
	Three weeks ago, I posted the following question:
Could anyone point me to the key references about Clar's sextet
rule of poly-condensed aromatic hydrocarbons?
	I appreciate very much the answers I got from Robert Ponec, Visnja
Stepanic, and Shridhar Gadre.  Thank you all very much.  Here are their
individual replies:

Robert Ponec,  [email-masked]
=================================
I can recommend you looking at the paper of O. Polansky and G. Derflinger
in the first issue of Int. J. Quant. Chem. in 1967. The approximate title
of the paper is "Zur Clarschen theorie der lokaler benzoider gebeite in
kondensierter aromatische kohlewasserstoffen", I do not remember already
the precise page but it was in the first issue od IJQCH in 1967) The paper
is in German but I believe you can find the reference to original Clar`s
works there.

Good luck

R. Ponec
------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 

Visnja Stepanic, [email-masked]
====================================
For example,
E. Clar, The Aromatic Sextet, John Wiley and Sons Ltd, 1972.

Best regards, Visnja
------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Shridhar Gadre, [email-masked]
======================================
Dear Cherif : Pl. see a paper by C. H. Suresh and S. R. Gadre in
J. Org. Chem. 64, 2505 (1999). Pl. send me a summary of the other
replies to your query. Thanks.........Shridhar Gadre
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Cherif

.......................................................................
 Cherif F. Matta		  	tel. (905) 525-9140 ext. 22502
 Chemistry Department                   fax  (905) 522-2509
 McMaster University                      
 Hamilton, Ontario, CANADA L8S 4M1.
.......................................................................