Subject: Call for Papers - Dynamic Systems in Thermo and Kinetics

From: "Roger DeKock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 17:15:11 -0400

Call for Papers

Please note that the deadline is October 15, 1999 and that submission of
abstracts is electronic.

COMPUTER MODELING OF DYNAMIC SYSTEMS IN THERMODYNAMICS
AND KINETICS

To be held at the 219th National American Chemical Society Meeting in San
Francisco California, March 26-30, 2000

Sponsored by the Division of Chemical Educatioin (CHED)

Abstracts are solicited on new ways of teaching chemical thermodynamics
and/or chemical kinetics by means of computer software. We particularly
want to emphasize software that provides a visual interface to help the
student grasp abstract concepts. An example is Stella®. Users of
specialized software for chemistry, such as EQS4WIN® or Chemical Kinetics
Simulator® are also encouraged to contribute to this symposium.  Other
software could include making use of computer algebra systems such as
Mathcad®, Mathematica®, or Maple®. Emphasis will be on exercises that
students can do, rather than simply on tools that can be used in the
classroom. The level of material can range from first year to fourth year.

If you have been developing some material that you feel would interest
the wider education community, please consider submitting an abstract.

Please use the On-line Abstract System (OASys) to submit
your abstracts.  At http://acs.confex.com/acs/219nm/ched/papers/index.cgi ,
select the symposium with the above title.  The deadline for submitting
abstracts is October 15, 1999.

Other web sites that you may find useful are:

http://www.acs.org 

http://acs.confex.com/oasys.htm 

Although use of the OASys is strongly encouraged for your abstract
submission, should you have difficulties with the OASys, feel free to
E-mail me an electronic copy of your abstract by filling out the word
template that a be downloaded at
http://www.acs.org/meetings/abstract/absdown.html 

Computer Modeling of Dynamic Systems in Thermodynamics and Kinetics.
Roger L. DeKock:  Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Calvin
College 3201 Burton St. S.E., Grand Rapids, MI 49546-4388, USA
(616)957-6344, Fax (616) 957-6501, email: [email-masked].

---

From: "W. R. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 07:40:05 -0400

EQS4WIN, mentioned below, is described at 

http://www.mathtrek.com

And while I think of it, another site that might be of interest as regards
chem education is

http://www.chemical-stoichiometry.net

At 05:15 PM 9/28/99 -0400, Roger DeKock wrote:
>-= This is automatically added to each message by mailing script =-
>[email-masked] -- To Everybody    |   [email-masked] -- To
Admins
>[email-masked] -- HELP CHEMISTRY or HELP SEARCH
>[email-masked] -- archive search    |    Gopher: gopher.ccl.net 70
>Ftp: ftp.ccl.net  |  WWW: http://www.ccl.net/chemistry/   | Jan: [email-masked]
>
>
>
>
>

-- W. R. Smith, PhD, P. Eng., Senior Scientist, Mathtrek Systems --
3-304 Stone Road West, Suite 165, Guelph, Ontario CANADA N1G 4W4
EMail: [email-masked]       Tel:519-763-1356,FAX:519-763-4525
--------------------- http://www.mathtrek.com ---------------------
-Mathtrek Systems - Home of EQS4WIN Chemical Equilibrium Software -

---

From: Bruce Allan Palfey <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 10:59:46 -0400 (EDT)

While we're on the topic...  I've collected a list of links to a variety
of programs and data that are useful in kinetics/thermodynamics research
or teaching that emphasizes doing data analysis or simulation.  The list
is aimed at what an enzymologist might want, but since that covers a lot
of chemistry, there may be wide applicability.  Go to:

          http://www.med.umich.edu/biochem/enzresources/

ciao,
Bruce

> >Sponsored by the Division of Chemical Educatioin (CHED)

[---------- long quote from past messages deleted by CCL admin, [email-masked],
[---------- To check conferencee announcements, go to:
[---------- http://www.ccl.net/chemistry/announcements/conferences/