Subject: Re: CCL:Linux distributions and FORTRAN (g77)

From: Herbert Fruchtl <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 09:46:43 +0100

Jochen wrote:
>
> > >that (1) use f2c instead (2) manually change all single precision
> >variables to double that is laborious or (3) obtain free full
> 
> sed s/real/real*8/

It ain't that easy. Most compilers don't allow a 'real*8 function', and
you may hit the 72-column limit.

Nevertheless, there are (free) tools available. I'd start searching at
the Fortran Market:

  http://www.uni-comp.com/fortran/

Regards,

  Herbert

---

From: Jochen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 13:14:21 +0200

>you may hit the 72-column limit.

Well, I should have made clear my intention.

Of course the comment wasn't meant to completly solve the problems you
encounter with badly designed code.

There are sveraly other issues besides variable declarations that might
need changes.
I am just fed up with people telling me this or that compiler is bad,
while they really mean: "I do have some crappy code and this compiler
does not fix it automagically."

In the first place people should try to have good code - either by
writing good code or by obtaining it from somewhere else.

And if there is any standard on floating point numbers at all, you have
to take IEEE. (But I would actually not rely on any such standard more
than any necessary.)
Writing code for longerish scientific calculation without thinking about
precision issues isn't really good design-practice, and IIRC only Cray
does have this 64 Bit single precision real number thing.

If code does rely on 64 bit single precision reals, it is designed to run
on a Cray and _not_ meant to run on any other platform. (Or it was
probably not designed at all.)
So please don't blame it on a compiler!

-- Jochen
        Heinrich-Heine-Universität, Institut für Physikalische Chemie I
        Universitätsstr. 1, Geb. 26.43.02.29, 40225 Düsseldorf, Germany
phone 02118113681 fax 02118115195  --  www-public.rz.uni-duesseldorf.de/~jochen
[email-masked] -- [email-masked] -- [email-masked]