Subject: Online Course: Doing Biological Research on the Internet

From: Eva Young <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 17:52:23 -0500 (CDT)

ADVANCED INTERNET TRAINING FOR BIOLOGISTS

Online applications are invited immediately from qualified individuals for 
Internet Biologists' 2nd International Edition of Doing Biological Research 
on the Internet (DBRI). 

http://www.internetbiologists.org/dbri99/

The application deadline is October 8, 1999, and enrollment is limited.
This advanced course promoting Internet literacy in the biological
sciences runs for 3 weeks from October 11 to 29, 1999, with one
additional week before and after the course for preparations and evaluations. The course relies heavily 
on skills taught in Internet Biologists' introductory course Bioscience 
Resources on the Internet 

http://www.internetbiologists.org/bri99/

BRI enrollment is now closed for 1999. DBRI thus assumes a working knowledge 
of mail lists, connecting to and participating in electronic conferencing on 
BioMOO, and finding basic biological information on the web. Applicants with 
equivalent web and electronic conferencing experience are welcome. Go to the 
following URL for FAQs on system/software requirements and BioMOO 
registration/connection information. 

http://www.internetbiologists.org/dbri99/faq.html

This year's edition will explore three themes: Online Networking and Internet 
Communication, Building on BioMOO and Shared Resources on the Internet, and 
Internet Tools for Sequence Analysis and Molecular Visualization. The course 
is expected to benefit those doing doctoral/postdoctoral research or working 
on industrial/commercial applications in the biological sciences (particularly 
in biochemistry or molecular biology), or teachers and administrators 
integrating the Internet and biology into their curriculum. There is no fee 
for joining the course, but participants are expected to spend a minimum of 
10 hours per week on course activities and a further 20 hours contribution to 
DBRI or Internet Biologists' projects over the next 2 months.