Subject: Re: CCL:C++ vs Fortran performance

From: Victor Lua~na <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 18:02:33 +0200 (METDST)

> Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 10:31:54 +0200
> From: Jochen <[email-masked]>
> Subject: CCL:C++ vs Fortran performance
>
> So - in principle FORTRAN is faster, but in C++ it is easier to code
> fast programs (faster than usual FORTRAN code).
> Do you agree ?

   Given the involvement that serious C++ projects like Blitz++ need to
achieve small efficiency penalties with respect to any fortran code I
would never say that is easier to produce faster code in C++ than in fortran.
What C++ advocates proclaim is that the human effort to create and
maintain a large computer program is reduced by using C++ AND sofisticated
software engineering tools.

                Regards,
                          Victor Lua~na

--
 HomePage  %%http://www3.uniovi.es/~quimica.fisica/qcg/vlc/luana.html%%
+----------------------------------------------+  +---^---/    /
!               Victor Lua~na                  !  |   ~       / Just in case
! Departamento de Quimica Fisica y Analitica   !  |           | you don't
! Universidad de Oviedo, 33006-Oviedo, Spain   ! <            / remember
! e-mail: [email-masked]%% !  |          /  where Oviedo
! phone: +34-985-103491  fax: +34-985-103125   !  |____  ___/   is  ;-)
+----------------------------------------------+       \/