Subject: ACS Theory Subdiv./ Call for Apps Grad Student Comp. Awards

From: michael page <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 14:42:56 -0500

--Call for Applications

IBM Graduate Student Awards in Computational Chemistry

 Below is an announcement for two Awards in Computational Chemistry that
are open to current graduate students.   We are grateful to  IBM and the
Minnesota Supercomputing Institute for their support of these awards.
Let me urge you to encourage your graduate students to apply.  The
competition is open to any graduate student (regardless of citizenship)
who began graduate study after August 1, 1996 and who is an ACS member
(or whose advisor is an ACS member).  These awards are designed to
encourage graduate work in computational chemistry, to recognize
research accomplishments, and to stimulate interest in the Subdivision
of Theoretical Chemistry and the Physical Chemistry Division of the
ACS.   An Awards Committee will consider all the applicants. The awards
applications should be sent to Ken Jordon at the University of
Pittsburgh.

Note that the deadline for applications is November 30.

These two awards, supported by IBM,  will provide one-time cash stipends
of $2500 and $1000 as supplements to normal financial aid to doctoral
candidates in the research-dissertation  stage in the 1999-2000 academic
year.  The Minnesota Supercomputing Institute will provide each awardee
up to 1000 node-hours on an IBM SP2 cluster for the awardees to actually
carry out a portion of the awarded research.  The awardees will have
access to the consulting services of the Institute normally available to
all users.  Awardee selection will be made on a competitive basis.
Applicants should be working on new and innovative computational
chemistry methods or applications in theoretical chemistry.

Applicants should prepare a written description of a computational
chemistry research project that requires high performance computing,
with an explanation of the scientific importance of the project.
Proposals need to include an estimate of the computing resources
required in SP2 cpu-hours.  Applicants should explain how they plan to
use the grant funds.  Two letters of recommendation, including one from
the student's advisor, along with a vita and transcript, are required.
The proposal, including the vita, should not exceed five double-spaced
pages. In addition, a faculty person (typically the applicant's research
advisor) responsible for the applicant's use of the Minnesota
Supercomputing Institute resources must be identified.

Forward applications by November 30, 1999 to

Prof. Ken Jordan
Department of Chemistry
University of Pittsburgh
Parkman Ave. and University Drive
Pittsburgh, PA 15260
[email-masked]

The awardees will be chosen in December.