Subject: Summary: SGI Sleds

From: "Bruce A. Luxon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 09:59:16 -0500

I received the following very helpful posts regarding where to get sleds for
SGI's. Thanks to all.

Bruce

-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=

From: Istvan Enyedy <[email-masked]>

I think it's better if you use external devices. In this case if you
decide to switch to Octane or O2 you can move all your external
devices to the new computer.

Note to Istvan: I'm taking several Indigos out of service and want to put the
various drives in some Indigo2s. Sleds are not interchangeable between Indigos
and Indigo2s.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

From: Gregory Durst <[email-masked]>

Here's a site that tells you everything you ever wanted to know (and
more) about SGI drive sleds...
http://www.amazing.com/internet/sgi-sleds.html

For hardware try these places ... http://www.pacexp.com/sgisleds.htm
and http://www.reputable.com/

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

From: Bienstock.Rachelle <[email-masked]>

I would try to contact some of the third party vendors of SGI
equipment: Try Western Scientific (http://www.wsm.com/) SGI uses
their own design of sleds, and so they are quite pricey compared to
PC sleds.  ($300 is a bit much....they should be on the order of $75-
$200). The best deal is to buy the disks with the SGI sleds.  Western
Scientific will  sell you disks already attached to SGI sleds for
very competitive prices (i.e. much less than SGI itself).

P.S. I don't work for Western Scientific, but I have purchased
numerous disks and tape systems from them for my SGIs.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

From: David Reichert <[email-masked]>

Check with Boost PERIPHERAL Systems (www.boostsystems.com) sleds for
a bare harddrive for my indigo2 ran less than $100 as I recall. That
was with the drive. dave reichert

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

From: Steven K. Pollack <[email-masked]>
        
Try Impediment:

Impediment, Inc.
541 Plain St.
Marshfield, MA 02050

(781) 834-3800

-=-=-=-=-=-=-        

From: Jen Sorensen <[email-masked]>

I'm not sure about their stock for Indigo2's, but I have had only
positive experiences with Zzyzx Peripherals. Reasonable prices and
good service. (www.zzyzx.com  -or- 1-800-876-7818)

-- 

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
  Bruce A. Luxon, Ph.D.
  Associate Professor
  Sealy Center for Structural Biology
  Dept. of Human Biological Chemistry & Genetics
  University of Texas Medical Branch
  Galveston, TX   77555-1157
  (409)747-6802; Fax (409)747-6850
  http://www.hbcg.utmb.edu/  http://www.nmr.utmb.edu/
  mailto:[email-masked]
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=