Subject: CCL: Re Beowulf/Chemistry/Athlon

From: "Dr. Peter Burger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 18:25:30 +0200 (MDT)

Mark,

for some info on how it's done check:

http://www.cs.utk.edu/~rwhaley/ATL/INDEX.HTM

Source & prebuilt libs are at:

http://www.netlib.org/atlas/

!!! Alot of thanks go to Clint Whaley (the author) !!!!

For the Athlon, you have to build one yourself or I can
send you mine.

Atlas just generates fast Blas-level 3 libs - you still need
level 1 and 2 blas lib from other places.

The Atlas generated dgemm on my PIII-550 runs at ca.
430 Mflops, which is way ahead (ca. 100 MFlop) of G. Henry's 
PentiumPro lib for Linux. 

On the Athlon-500 one can squeeze out approximately 540-550 
MFlops. Assuming linear scaling, one can build for a reasonable
amount of money (the 700 MHz Athlon is still too expensive)
a 700 Mflop machine with the 650 MHZ version and still has the potential
of > 1 GFlop once a dgemm routine is available that makes use of both
FP (add, mul) pipelines.

Peter
 
 -------------------------------------------------------------
 Peter Burger
 Universitaet Zuerich
 [email-masked]