Subject: Re: CCL:Beowulf+Chemistry web site

From: "M. Nicklaus" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 11:35:04 -0400

On Fri, 15 Oct 1999, Dr. Peter Burger wrote:

> > Unfortunately, Athlons (700 MHz AMD Athlon has just been released) is
> > even faster than G4:
> 
> What do you mean by unfortunately - it's nice that they are so fast!!
> 
> Nevertheless has someone achieved to produce a handtuned dgemm version for
> the Athlon? Just like GOTO's dgemm version for the Alpha 21164?

Just FYI, Kazushige Goto has recently released a version of his DGEMM for
Alpha 21264 (EV6).  From his 01 Oct 1999 posting on [email-masked]:

<<<<
I release optimized Matrix-Matrix Multiply routines(GEMM) for EV5,
EV6.

1. GEMM for EV6

This routine is optimized for 21264(EV6).  You can get 85% to 90%
performance of theoretical value.  If you use 677MHz machine, you may
get "GFlops World".

[8 tables with benchmarks omitted]

3. Distribution

   based on GPL2.

4. source

   please see at

   ftp://www.netstat.ne.jp/pub/Linux/Linux-Alpha-JP/BLAS

   libgemm_ev5-991001.tar.gz   : for EV5
   libgemm_ev6-991001.tar.gz   : for EV6

P.S.
   CGEMM/ZGEMM routines are not well optimized yet.  If you find any
problems, please let me know.

-----
  [email-masked]

Marc

------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Marc C. Nicklaus                        National Institutes of Health
 E-mail: [email-masked]               Bldg 37, Rm 5B29
 Phone:  (301) 402-3111                  37 Convent Dr, MSC 4255       
 Fax:    (301) 496-5839                  BETHESDA, MD 20892-4255    USA 
      http://rex.nci.nih.gov/RESEARCH/basic/medchem/mcnbio.htm
    Laboratory of Medicinal Chemistry, National Cancer Institute
------------------------------------------------------------------------