Subject: 3D-plotting package

From: Arun Venkathanathan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 16:59:37 +0530 (IST)

Dear CCLers,

Thanks to all those who responded to my e-mail regarding the availability
of free 3D-plotting packages.  Most of the replies which I recieved
focussed on gnuplot, and also few other suggested molden, gopenmol etc.

I forgot to mention in my previous e-mail that I was using SURFER ( 3D
plotting package which reads simple x,y,z data). It did produce excellent
surface plots and I was able to compose more than one plot on the same
page.  I needed the entire plot in a postscript format and unfortunately
this option was unavailable in the version of SURFER which I am using.

Gnuplot doesn't give good quality 3-D surface plots (I hope I am not
wrong). 

I will deeply appreciate anyone who could recommend me a FREEWARE software
package which runs on MS-Windows/DOS/Linux operating systems. 

Since a lot of publications/papers have 3-D plots, I would like to know
the 3-D packages usually used by researchers and also their URL location. 

Thanks in advance.

- Regards
  Arun Venkatnathan