Subject: Re: CCL:Chkpt File

From: Krzysztof Radacki <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 13:04:35 +0100

Benny Moritz wrote:
> 
> Dear Netters,
> 
>         How do I read a checkpoint file?  I have been unable to read my checkpoint
> files in GaussView (G98).  I have been using an FTP program (CuteFTP) and
> all my gaussian jobs are stored in one directory, so I decided to make
> sub-directories to sort out all my jobs.  I transferred the files from the
> FTP to my personal computer and then back into their appropriate
> sub-directories using ASCII mode for both transfers.  But when I go into
> GaussView to view my checkpoint file an error message comes up saying
> unable to read checkpoint file.  Is there anyway to fix my problem, or am I
> screwed?
> 
> Thank You,
> 
>         Ben Moritz

I think that you can forget all your chk-files. They are binary
so you shoul copy them not as asci- but as bin-transfer.

  Krzys Radacki
_________________------------------------------------------------
-----------------   e-mail:   [email-masked]  ---
-----------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 22:33:40 +0100 (MET)

... checkpoint files are binary, so binary transfer is required. However,
unformatted (i.e. binary) files are not necessarily transportable across
platforms. I cannot use gv (which runs under AIX) to read a chkpnt file
created under LINUX. It might be possible to convert the checkpoint
file to a formatted file (formchk) on the "Calculator" and do the reverse
on the "Viewer", i have not tried it.
---------------------------+------------------------------------------------
Christoph van Wullen       | Fon (University):  +49 234 32 26485
Theoretical Chemistry      | Fax (University):  +49 234 32 14109
Ruhr-Universitaet          | Fon/Fax (private): +49 234 33 22 75 
D-44780 Bochum, Germany    | eMail: [email-masked]
---------------------------+------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 18:08:53 +0000

[email-masked] wrote:
> -= This is automatically added to each message by mailing script =-
> [email-masked] -- To Everybody    |   [email-masked] -- To Admins
> [email-masked] -- HELP CHEMISTRY or HELP SEARCH
> [email-masked] -- archive search    |    Gopher: gopher.ccl.net 70
> Ftp: ftp.ccl.net  |  WWW: http://www.ccl.net/chemistry/   | Jan: [email-masked]

  Convert checkpoint file to ASCii..  move.. convert back to binary....

John McKelvey