Subject: Linux for comp.chem.

From: Miroslava Culf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 09:38:52 -0400

Dear All,

I am contemplating to instal Linux on my PC and take advantage of numerous
free Comp.Chem. software available for Linux. 
What is in your opinion the best version of Linux for use with
Computational Chemistry software? 
Also, is it possible to somehow keep Windows and run on the same computer
both programs under Linux and under Windows?
Thanks very much for your help and patience with this not strictly
computational chemistry question.
Mira
___________________________________________________________

  Miroslava Cuperlovic-Culf, 
  Chemistry Department 
  63C York St.
  Mount Allison University 
  Sackville, NB E4L 1G8
  Canada

  e-mail: [email-masked] 
  tel. 506-364-2411 
  http://www.mta.ca/faculty/science/chem/staff/mculf.htm
____________________________________________________________

---

From: "William R. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 11:28:48 -500

The answer to the second part of the question is definitely yes.

The (relatively inexpensive) software product called System 
Commander is one solution (do a web search)

> free Comp.Chem. software available for Linux. What is in your opinion the
> best version of Linux for use with Computational Chemistry software? Also,
> is it possible to somehow keep Windows and run on the same computer both
> programs under Linux and under Windows? Thanks very much for your help and
> patience with this not strictly computational chemistry question. Mira

Best Regards,

W. R. Smith, Professor
Dept. of Mathematics and Statistics and School of Engineering
University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, CANADA N1G 2W1
Tel: 519-824-4120, ext. 3038; FAX: 519-837-0221;

---

From: Lingran Chen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 09:48:32 -0800

Dear Mira,

1. RedHat, Debian, and S.u.S.E. are some good examples.
2. You can find answers from 
http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/faqs/linux-faq/Linux-FAQ

BTW, SGI Unveils New Supercomputer based on Linux!
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/19991116/tc/tech_sgi_2.html

-Lingran

**********************************************************
Lingran Chen, Ph.D.
Senior Scientific Programmer
MDL Information Systems, Inc.

Phone: (510) 895-1313, Ext. 1305
FAX:   (510) 614-3616
Email: [email-masked]
**********************************************************

Miroslava Culf wrote:
> -= This is automatically added to each message by mailing script =-
> [email-masked] -- To Everybody    |   [email-masked] -- To Admins
> [email-masked] -- HELP CHEMISTRY or HELP SEARCH
> [email-masked] -- archive search    |    Gopher: gopher.ccl.net 70
> Ftp: ftp.ccl.net  |  WWW: http://www.ccl.net/chemistry/   | Jan: [email-masked]

---

From: Ray Crawford <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 13:53:23 -0500 (EST)

William,

	If the "second part" of the question is the running Windows and
Linux programs on the same box, you can do a dual boot using Lilo...  Just
go out to www.linux.org and they have TONS of stuff about lilo
configurations and dual boots.

	Ray.

---

From: Andrea <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 16:52:36 +0100

> Computational Chemistry software?

RedHat and SuSe usually works fine, I don't know about others. Problems
usually are generated by hardware, not by distribution, check that your
computer components are supported, in particular video adapter.

> both programs under Linux and under Windows?

No, programs that runs under Linux doesn't runs under windows and
viceversa, but you could use both OSes on the same pc; look at
Linux+NT-Loader or Linux+Win95 howto (you could find these and above
informations with a simple internet search).

Hope this help, Andrea.
______________________________________________

Dr. Andrea Bernini, Ph.D. 
Molecular Biology Dept.
University of Siena
Via Fiorentina 1, 53100 Siena, Italy
Phone +39 577 234911
Fax   +39 577 234903

---

From: "M. Nicklaus" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 15:14:05 -0500

On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Miroslava Culf wrote:

> Chemistry software?  Also, is it possible to somehow keep Windows and
> run on the same computer both programs under Linux and under Windows?

There is a program called VMware that allows you to run Windows on a
virtual machine created within Linux, i.e. to run Linux programs and
Windows applications at the same time.  See http://www.vmware.com/

Marc

------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Marc C. Nicklaus                        National Institutes of Health
 E-mail: [email-masked]               Bldg 37, Rm 5B29
 Phone:  (301) 402-3111                  37 Convent Dr, MSC 4255       
 Fax:    (301) 496-5839                  BETHESDA, MD 20892-4255    USA 
      http://rex.nci.nih.gov/RESEARCH/basic/medchem/mcnbio.htm
    Laboratory of Medicinal Chemistry, National Cancer Institute
------------------------------------------------------------------------