Subject: Summary: Linux for comp.chem.

From: Miroslava Culf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 09:34:10 -0400

Wow!
I must be one of the last people in the universe (or at least on this
e-mail list) that is not using Linux. Good thing I decided to jump on to
this wagon. Thanks to very many people (list of names would make this
massage to long for Windows to handle :-)) that send me very helpful
information. I'll try to summarize.

Overall view was that all the programs for Linux are equally good for
Comp.Chem. programs although some are harder to install then others: Red
Hat, Slackware, Debian, Caldera, Mandrake 6.1,Caldera OpenLinux 2.2 or
higher, Corel Linux are the once mentioned to me. Open Linux is apparently
easy to install although a bit more expensive. 
I decided to go for Corel Linux - it only costs 5$ (+10$ for shipping to
Canada !?) and it is supposed to be easy to instal with apparently included
options for multi OS.

Windows and Linux can run on the same computer and there are several options:
   A) You install both and decide at the boot time which OS
      you want to start. All details are covered well in HOWTO's
      You have one OS running at the time and if you want to use
      the other you have to reboot the machine. You will be able
      to see windows partition from linux, but not the other way
      around (at least not easily...)

   B) You can install VMware (http://www.vmware.com) software
      and you have both OS'es running at the same time; one
      as HOST and other as GUEST OS.

   C) There are also winlinux and http://www.phatlinux.com/
   
Programs mentioned for setting up multi OS are: 
-Partition Magic (it is quite difficult) you can run Linux and Windows98 on
the same computer.
- System Commander to create multiple partitions and allow you to "switch"
between them.  
- Caldera OpenLinux comes a software ( partition magic) on its CD, that you
can launch from windows and it will guide you through the process with a
graphical interface and
setup your system to be dual bootable from a startup menu.(According to
Corel web site Corel Linux should do something similar M.C.)
- Wine http://www.winehq.com/
- WABI, 
- vmware http://www.vmware.com 

Web sites about Linux:

http://www.linux-kheops.com
http://www2.linuxjournal.com/lj-issues/issue23/1230.html
http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/faqs/linux-faq/Linux-FAQ
BTW, SGI Unveils New Supercomputer based on Linux!
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/19991116/tc/tech_sgi_2.html
www.linux.org
www.redhat.com

And finally thanks for the warnings about how good and how addictive Linux
is- I am certainly looking forward to trying it out.

Thanks again,
Mira

____________________________________________________________

  Miroslava Culf, Ph.D. 
  65 York St.
  Computer Services Department/Chemistry Department 
  Mount Allison University 
  Sackville, NB E4L 1E4
  Canada

  e-mail: [email-masked] 
  tel. 506-364-2411 
  http://www.mta.ca/faculty/science/chem/staff/mculf.htm
____________________________________________________________