Subject: Re: CCL:Linux for comp.chem.

From: Jochen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 11:16:47 +0100

On Mit, 17 Nov 1999 Andrea wrote:
>Miroslava Culf wrote:
>> 
>> Dear All,
>> 
>> I am contemplating to instal Linux on my PC and take advantage of numerous
>> free Comp.Chem. software available for Linux.
>> What is in your opinion the best version of Linux for use with
>> Computational Chemistry software?
>
>RedHat and SuSe usually works fine,

Right. debian as well :-)

>> Also, is it possible to somehow keep Windows and run on the same computer
>> both programs under Linux and under Windows?
>
>No, programs that runs under Linux doesn't runs under windows and
>viceversa, but you could use both OSes on the same pc; look at
>Linux+NT-Loader or Linux+Win95 howto (you could find these and above
>informations with a simple internet search).

Wrong. There are many ways to run Windows-Programs on an Linux-PC.
Look at dosemu, Wine, WABI, vmware, ...

-- Jochen
        Heinrich-Heine-Universität, Institut für Physikalische Chemie I
        Universitätsstr. 1, Geb. 26.43.02.29, 40225 Düsseldorf, Germany
phone 02118113681 fax 02118115195  --  www-public.rz.uni-duesseldorf.de/~jochen
[email-masked] -- [email-masked] -- [email-masked]