Subject: AVS/IBM explorer followup

From: Deepak Singh <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 21:53:08 -0500

Thank you to everyone who replied to the following post

-----------------------

Hi,

I have been looking into software (for IRIX) that will allow me to
visualize MO's, charge densities etc.  I heard a lot about AVS but that
seems to have disappeared.  I ran into IBM's 'Open Visualization Data
Explorer' today and it seems to be similar to AVS.  I would like to know

if people have used this a lot with G98/94, GAMESS and MOPAC?  Is the
performance similar to AVS?

------------------------

I think I should clarify a few things.  When I say AVS has disappeared,
I mean the "Application Visualization System"produced by produced by
Advanced Visual Systems which used to have a "chemistry" viewer.  I
found this at the following site

http://www.arl.hpc.mil/PET/cta/ccm/training/courses/scivis/AVS/AVS-schedule.html

I might  be wrong but as someone did point out to me, AVS express does
not have the chemistryu module per se.  Some people wrote to me about
MOLDEN, which is what I use now, but molden cannot give me the quality
of graphics which I require.  It is great as a reference and research
tool, but we have always used something like "mathematica" to get better
graphics .

The IBM explorer seems to be a similar product to AV, and it is FREE.
I tried getting it running today but had a bunch of compilation
trouble.  I would not like to spend too much time on it, if people have
had trouble with it.  In short, I guess what I need to know is that, on
a SGI, which product would give me the best quality graphics for G98,
MOPAC and GAMESS output, without unnecessary headaches.  I have no
personal bias.  Just a note gopenmol is good, but seems better for MD
analysis.

Deepak.

--
**********************************************************************
Deepak Singh                        Tel : (315)443 1739 (w)
Graduate Student                          (315)472 9659 (h)
Dept. of Chemistry                  Fax : (315)443 4070
Syracuse University               email : [email-masked]
1-014 CST, Syracuse                 URL : http://web.syr.edu/~desingh
NY 13244

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." --- Salvor Hardin
**********************************************************************