Subject: K7

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 09:13:10 +0800

From: Jon Wright <[email-masked]>

[...]

Yes pass it on pls, I would rather people know I made a mistake and took
the correct results than have the wrong ones. Anyway the things that stand
out:

On x86 machines with Open shell calcs g98a7 is much faster previous
versions
K7's are abit faster than Piii's
2x Piii is nearly 1.8x faster than 1 Piii
x86 can compete with other machines (I know SGI O200 and O2000 is now mips
r12k 300 but the price difference is makes it very unatractive)

These results and more can be found at
http://www.ibms.sinica.edu.tw/~jon/machines.shtml

I have already had a few emails saying that the jobs should be
different/bigger but as I said before I started with this input files 3yrs
ago when they were consider big then, trying to get hold of all those
machines again to run a different job is very hard. The results are
enough to show general trends like x86 is comparible to Mips,
cyrix/winchip is awful, celerons are reasonable compared to Pii and Piii

Regards
Jon

---

From: David van der Spoel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 19:38:36 +0100 (CET)

A comparison of Athlon/PIII to Alpha machines running Linux/Compaq
Compilers is also on the gromacs benchmark: conclusion is that a 750 MHz
Athlon should be almost as fast as a 466 MHz 21264 Alpha (the cheap ones),
however at half the price. But.... if you have parallel code the best buy
may still be a Dual Pentium machine. We need SMP Athlon machines...

http://md.chem.rug.nl/~gmx/gmxbench.html

Groeten, David.
________________________________________________________________________
Dr. David van der Spoel		Biomedical center, Dept. of Biochemistry
s-mail:	Husargatan 3, Box 576,  75123 Uppsala, Sweden
e-mail: [email-masked]	www: http://zorn.bmc.uu.se/~spoel
phone:	46 18 471 4205		fax: 46 18 511 755
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++