Subject: Re: CCL:Athlon K7 chemistry benchmarks

From: "Ilfir R. Ramazanov" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 12:43:46 +0500

Hello CCLers!

I found really interesting results for g98 (2.3x it's not joke!).
Thanks, Eugene. AFAIK Athlon treats non-optimized code as well as Intel
optimized (I mean FPU unit). It's a explanation probably.

Merry Christmas for everyone!

Ilfir

среда, 22 Декабрь 1999, you wrote:

EL> Very interesting results for g98 and CHARMm

EL> http://www.cpureview.com/art_k7sci1_a.html

EL> -= This is automatically added to each message by mailing script =-
EL> [email-masked] -- To Everybody    |   [email-masked] -- To Admins
EL> [email-masked] -- HELP CHEMISTRY or HELP SEARCH
EL> [email-masked] -- archive search    |    Gopher: gopher.ccl.net 70
EL> Ftp: ftp.ccl.net  |  WWW: http://www.ccl.net/chemistry/   | Jan: [email-masked]

Best regards,
Ilfir R. Ramazanov, Ph.D.,
Laboratory of Catalytic Synthesis
Institute of Petrochemistry and Catalysis,
pr. Oktyabrya, 141,
Ufa, 450075, Russia.

mailto:[email-masked]

Visit my homepage and find some QC software
http://members.tripod.com/~ChemELF

Visit our lab web page
http://organomet.cjb.net

22.12.1999 12:35

---

From: Eugene Leitl <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 17:50:36 -0800 (PST)

Rick Venable writes:

 > And apparently incorrect, at least for G98; the site now has a
 > retraction.  The K7 CHARMM numbers aren't that impressive either-- if I

Yes, the author has today contacted me, telling that inadvertely two
different g98 versions (optimizations have resulted in a ~2x speedup)
have been compared.

 > scale the P3 result to the 600 Mhz clock speed for the K7, I get an est. 
 > 612 sec, instead of the reported 642 sec. 

Imo, Athlon has still the following pro points:

1) Price/performance
2) Availability. Typically, commercially available Athlons are 
   ~100 MHz faster than fastest Intel offering available at the same time.
3) Future scalability (Athlon core is designed to go to go whether a
   Pentium core cannot go, at least without a radical redesign)
4) Current results are likely to get better when compilers support
   Athlon fully.
5) Investment in a competitor (i.e. not supporting a semimonopoly)
   will overall result in better products over several silicon 
   iterations

Regards,

Eugene Leitl