Subject: CCL:Workshop on advanced Data Storage / Management Techniques for HPC

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 10:33:02 +0000

From: Huub van Dam <[email-masked]>

            Workshop on advanced Data Storage / Management
            Techniques for HPC

                  Invitation and Call for Papers

                     23rd - 25th February 2000
   Workshop on Advanced Data Storage / Management Techniques for HPC
               Daresbury Laboratory, Warrington, UK

There is a growing awareness that it is not enough to provide leading
edge computational facilities on their own. Many of today's modelling
codes produce large amounts of data, which have to be handled
appropriately. Keeping records, archiving, preserving and exploring
results, granting access to and disseminating new findings, as well as
providing back-up capacities are major tasks and without adequate data
archival and exploration, research data may well be lost.

The rapidly increasing amount of stored data provides new challenges for

the existing computing and data centres, as new techniques have to be
developed to capture, store, manage and explore this data efficiently.

The Computational Science and Engineering Department (CSE) at CLRC -
Daresbury Laboratory and the data storage and data management group and
the data inter-operability group of the European DIRECT project are
jointly organizing a workshop on advanced data storage and data
management techniques for high performance computing users. The aim of
the workshop is to provide a forum for vendors, data and computing
centres, developers and users to discuss available solutions, new
technological developments and user requirements, during this 3 day
workshop. Topics to be discussed are:

    High Performance Storage Systems
    Data Management Tools
    High Performance I/O on Supercomputers
    Data Mining
    Data Processing and Visualisation
    Data formats and Data interoperability

The workshop will also provide an forum to discuss future data
storage/management requirements of various scientific disciplines. We
would like to invite contributions from the areas of: Environmental
Science, Quantum Chromodynamics, Materials Chemistry, Computational
Chemistry, Biology, Engineering, Astrophysics, Particle Physics, Medical

and Social Sciences.

Please pass this message on to other interested groups.

For more information see URL:
http://www.dl.ac.uk/TCSC/datamanagement/conf2.html

Kerstin Kleese (CLRC,UK)
Michael Lautenschlager (DKRZ,D)
Micheal King (Univ. of Essex, UK)

-= This is automatically added to each message by mailing script =-
[email-masked] -- To Everybody    |   [email-masked] -- To Admins
[email-masked] -- HELP CHEMISTRY or HELP SEARCH
[email-masked] -- archive search    |    Gopher: gopher.ccl.net 70
Ftp: ftp.ccl.net  |  WWW: http://www.ccl.net/chemistry/   | Jan: [email-masked]

-------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe send a message body containing "unsubscribe"
to [email-masked]