Subject: Re, References on exact solutions ...

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 100 09:49:32 +0100 (MET)

I wonder if during this discussion is has been pointed out that H2+ is
a three-body system. The "exact" solution discussed so far is however the
solution of a one-body Schroedinger equation with the clamped nuclei 
hamiltonian.

---------------------------+------------------------------------------------
Christoph van Wullen       | Fon (University):  +49 234 32 26485
Theoretical Chemistry      | Fax (University):  +49 234 32 14109
Ruhr-Universitaet          | Fon/Fax (private): +49 234 33 22 75 
D-44780 Bochum, Germany    | eMail: [email-masked]
---------------------------+------------------------------------------------

---

From: Tom Sundius <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 23:18:22 +0200 (EET)

> solution of a one-body Schroedinger equation with the clamped nuclei 

Of course there is no analytical solution to a three-body problem. 
But a complete numerical solution by separation of the variables was
already given in 1927 by Oyvind Burrau in Denmark. His solution to the
problem in the book by Pauling and Wilson (Introduction to Quantum
Mechanics, sect. 42c). This solution was later improved by Hylleraas
and Jaffe. The results were in very close agreement with experiment.

Tom Sundius
University of Helsinki, Department of Physics    phone +358-9-191 8339
P.O.Box 9, FIN-00014 Helsinki, Finland           fax   +358-9-191 8680