Subject: FAQ?

From: Rajarshi Guha <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 15:53:54 +0530 (IST)

Hi,
  I've noticed that a lot of meesages contain the similar questions.I
don't mean to put down the people who are asking these questions but
would'nt it be better for there to be a FAQ or something which would
contain ready made answers to many simple/standard questions (especially
the ones about specific algorithms,text references and software websites
etc).Then a simple search through the FAQ would provide the answers.

Thsi would entail that somebody would have to take the responsibility of
looking after this FAQ.(Personally I would offer to do so - but I don't
have the requird knowledge base to really make a full and in depth FAQ.If
somebody needs help I'd be willing assist -- this assumes that such a FAQ
does not exist right now!)

Bye,

===============================================================
Rajarshi Guha                   | ...but there was no one
Dept. of Chemistry              | in it........   
IIT Kharagpur.                  |
                                |                  RG.
email: [email-masked]  |
===============================================================

---

From: Marcel Swart <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 12:33:49 +0100

>does not exist right now!)

Isn't it true, that one can search the CCL archives ?
If so, no need to reinvent the wheel.

Marcel.
==============================================================
Marcel Swart

E-mail : [email-masked]
==============================================================

---

From: Peter Shenkin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 10:01:36 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

Here's a proposed FAQ:

	Q:  I have a question about how to use Gaussian.
	A:  Ask Gaussian.

:-) (yes, just joking),
-P.

--
** Whether the playing field is level depends on the coordinate system. ***
********* Peter S. Shenkin; Schrodinger, Inc.; (201)433-2014 x111 *********
*********** [email-masked]; http://www.schrodinger.com ***********

---

From: "Jochen Küpper" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 14:08:29 +0100 (CET)

> does not exist right now!)

Well, go ahead and start the FAQ. Put it up on CCL, post it here once
a month, and ask people to contribute questions with answers they
want to see in there :-)

Probably you start with:

Q: Where can I find code to solve my numerical problem XYZ ?
A: Check out http://www.netlib.org. Another nice interface is
   at http://gams.nist.gov.

Jochen
-- 
Heinrich-Heine-Universität
Institut für Physikalische Chemie I
Jochen Küpper
Universitätsstr. 1, Geb. 26.43.02.29
40225 Düsseldorf, Germany
phone ++49-211-8113681, fax ++49-211-8115195
http://www.jochen-kuepper.de

---

From: "Jochen Küpper" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 17:50:43 +0100 (CET)

> 	Q:  I have a question about how to use Gaussian.

Well, no joke:
     Q: I have a question about how to use Gaussian.
     A: a) Check the Gaussian manual.
        b) Look up the information at http://www.gaussian.com.
        c) Check Q&A "20-98".
           (reference to more specific Q&A about typical questions
            concerning Gaussian within the FAQ.)

:-)

Jochen