Subject: Software/Database for Review

From: "Dr. Stephen R. Heller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 14:33:26 -0500 (EST)

February 22, 2000

Subject:  Computer Software/Database for Review

        As the Software Review Editor for the ACS Journal of Chemical
Information and Computer Science (JCICS) I often get software for review
in the journal.   I have one (1) new web-based software/database product.
I am looking for someone who is willing to review this product on the web.
The review should be completed in 1-3 months.  The length of
the review is 4-10 double spaced typed pages.  Sample reviews can be
found in most of the recent issues of JCICS.

        Please try to give me some (short) reason to choose you over
another person.

        I have tried this approach for about the past five years and it
is working reasonably well. (REMINDER: For those who haven't finished
your reviews of software sent months and months ago, this last sentence
does not apply to you!)  As a result, I am continuing this new method to
find reviewers using this e-mail/user group system.  I reserve the right
to abandon this if it is a problem, or inappropriate.  I will not notify
people if I have found a reviewer.  If you don't hear from me within a
few days I have chosen someone else to review the particular package.

        As I get many, many, (too many) replies to this message, please
do not respond after 25 February 2000 (Friday), as I am sure the software
will be gone by then.

        I can be reached on Internet ([email-masked]). This is a new
e-mail address.

        Steve Heller

The package I now have is:

ACD/I-Lab, the Interactive Laboratory is an online service
including systematic naming generation, NMR and physicochemical
prediction, and online database searching by structure and substructure.

The person doing the review will be given a few hundred dollars credit to
to access www.acdlabs.com/ilab to try it out and then write the 
review.  While it is an online service but comes connected to the FREE
Chemsketch interface for people to connect to. The reviewer would need to
download CHemsketch to connect or use the Java applet.  The reviewer MUST
be using a very recent version of Internet Explorer or Netscape Navigator.

Stephen R. Heller, Ph. D.
Guest Researcher
NIST/SRD, Mail Stop: 820/113
100 Bureau Drive
820 Diamond Avenue, Room 101
Gaithersburg, MD 20899-2310 USA
Phone: 301-975-3338    FAX: 301-926-0416
E-mail:  [email-masked]
WWW:     www.hellers.com/~steve
--------------------------------------------------
As a member of the Organizing Committee, I invite you to attend
Chemistry & the Internet - ChemInt2000; September 23-26, 2000;
Washington, DC.
http://www.chemint.org