Subject: NT parallel cluster

From: Bhupendra Wakankar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 10:54:37 -0500

Dear CCLers,
Hi.

We have 6 computers in our lab (4 running on WINNT and 2 on RedHat 6.0).
I use the Linux PC's for my computations while the 4 NT PC's stay
relatively idle. All these PC's are fairly powerful (> 400MHz
multiprocessor Pentiums) and thus have untapped number crunching power.
I am wondering if it is possible to build a parallel cluster using these
4 NT PC's (and better still, using all 6 PC's). 

Almost all network of PC clusters that I read about on the web run under
Linux. Is there any particular reason for not choosing NT (lack of
parallel programs perhaps ?). 

I would also like to know if there are any DFT programs (parallel/single
processor, free/commercial) running on Windows NT?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
Bhupendra

---

From: "Alex. A. Granovsky" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 00:49:17 +0300

Dear Bhupendra Wakankar,

You can use parallel version of the PC GAMESS to perform QC calculations 
on NT clusters. See the PC GAMESS homepages at MSU
http://classic/gran/gamess/index.html
http://quantum-2.chem.msu.ru/gran/gamess/index.html
and at ISU
http://www.msg.ameslab.gov/GAMESS/pcgamess.shtml

Best regards
Alex Granovsky