Subject: Re: CCL:linux

From: gshamov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 19:13:32 +0300

Hello Ulrike,

Friday, March 10, 2000, 8:51:08 AM, you wrote:

US> Hi Linux fans,

US> I am experimenting with linux in Pentium computers. The main goal is 
US> using Gaussian. But I am running into various problems. I have installed 
US> Red Hat 6.1 on one computer and WinLinux on another. In both cases Linux 
US> does not seem to have a driver for my VGA card: S3 Trio 3D/2X. Has 
US> anybody found a driver for this card?

There is no _drivers_ in linux at all. U need the X-server !
And old X-servers from Xfreee86 (3.3.4 or 3.3.3)shipped with RedHat
doze not supporting your card. U must download new version of Xfree,
3.3.6 or greater, from http://www.xfree86.org/ and upgrade your
system. Next, run XF86Setup and select X_SVGA server for your S3Trio3d/2x.

US> WinLinux (from www.winlinux.net) boots with the above card but gives the 
US> error "PCI .....  at IRQ 0, which is unlikely to work". So I could not 
US> connect to the net. Next I tried a "cold boot" which is in the trouble 
US> shooting utility. This forces a configuration for an unkown card. 
US> Afterwards networking is possible but the display is very bad (uni color 
US> in netscape).

If u know exactly, what network card u have, u should try to recompile
linux kernel with related options enabled.

US> Having reached this this point, I installed compilers and libraries for 
US> G98. Unfortunately "bldg98" is written for the C-shell and WinLinux comes 
US> only with "bash". I am afraid that rewriting the skripts will create 
US> problems without end. Therefore I would like to find out whether the 
US> C-shell can be added to WinLinux.

There is tcsh shell in RedHat6.1 distribution, and i think tcsh must be
in WinLinux too! U must just install it using rpm, gnorpm or something!

Best regards,
 gshamov                            mailto:[email-masked]