Subject: ESPA Conference Announcement

From: Txema Mercero <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 13:44:58 +0200

Dear Colleague,

You are cordially invited to participate in the "Electronic Structure:
Prediction and Applications" conference that will be held at San
Sebastian (Donostia, in Basque language) from October 4 - 6, 2000.

The Conference intends to bring together a broad audience of active
researches ranging from condensed matter physicists to laboratory
oriented organic chemists, going through the plethora of physical
chemists, chemical physicists, computational/theoretical chemists and
physicists, etc. You can realize that it is intended to be very
ambitious. We will do our best to fulfill these expectations. The list
of the topics covered is.

  1. Femtosecond dynamics
  2. Dielectric Response
  3. DFT, including TDDFT
  4. Change and Reactivity
  5. Molecular Dynamics, Quantum Molecular Dynamics and Quantum Monte
     Carlo
  6. QM/MM, Biochemical applications
  7. Clusters
  8. Transition Metal Chemistry, including Metallofullerenes
  9. Solvent effects and water

The list of invited speakers that have already confirmed their
participation includes.

  1. R. Saykally, Berkeley, USA
  2. P.B. Armentrout, Salt Lake City, USA
  3. R. Needs, Cambridge, UK
  4. J. Inglesfield, Cardiff, UK
  5. A. Eguliz, Oak Ridge National Lab., USA
  6. L.A. Eriksson, Upssala, Sweden
  7. R.J. Boyd, Dalhosie, Halifax, Canada
  8. F. Martin, Madrid, Spain
  9. U. Roethlisberger, ETH, Zurich, Switzerland
 10. T. Clark, Erlagen, Germany
 11. K. Hermansson, Upssala, Sweden
 12. X. Lopez, Oxford, UK
 13. M. Robb, London, UK
 14. P. Siegbahn, Stockholm, Sweden
 15. M. Yañez, Madrid, Spain
 16. S. Shaik, Jerusalem, Israel
 17. J.A. Alonso, Valladolid, Spain
 18. M. Sodupe, Barcelona, Spain
 19. R.W. Godby, Cambridge, UK
 20. J. Sabin, Gainsville, Florida, USA
 21. R. Amos, Cambridge, UK
 22. S. Alvarez, Barcelona, Spain

The Conference will be held at "Miramar Jauregia", a Palace by the sea.
All sessions will be held at the same room. Due to the space limitations
the organizing committee has set a maximum number of participants of 120
persons. Hence we urge you to complete an early preregistration at the
following web site: http://www.sc.ehu.es/espa .

The inscription will be carried out electronically by using the web page
that we have prepared to that end, and that can be found at the web site
of the conference. We would appreciate receiving your preregistration as
soon as possible, at the latest on May 15, 2000.

Accommodation is not expected to suppose any trouble for the
participants, who are refereed to the web site of the Conference for
more information about this point. As a matter of fact, we like to point
it out that a very decent room in a Hotel within a walking distance from
the Conference Palace, will cost approx. 8000 Ptas (50 Euro), including
breakfast. Please be advised that accommodation will be your sole
responsibility. Needless to say, that we will be happy to assist you
just in case that you want us to do so. Please get in touch with us at
the following e-mail address: [email-masked]

San Sebastian is located in Northern Spain very close to the France
South border and it is surrounded by three airports. The closest is the
airport of San Sebastian, which is 10 Km East. The Biarritz airport  in
France, is also close to San Sebastian at approximately 40 Km North.
However, the major airport is at Bilbao, approximately at 100 Km West
for San Sebastian. Transportation from Bilbao airport to San Sebastian
is fluent by bus. They run from Bilbao downtown every 30 minutes. San
Sebastian can also be conveniently reached by car, and traffic in the
city is easy.

By early October, mild weather conditions should be expected. For more
information on this topic, please visit the following web site.
http://my.netscape.com/weather/home.tmpl?city=08029&units=metric

The International Journal of Quantum Chemistry has agreed to publish the
Proceedings of the Conference in a Special Issue. Manuscript submission
and handling procedures will be announced in the second circular.  We
will feel honored if you could consider to publish your contribution to
the Conference in that issue.

The organizing committee has set a tentative Inscription Fee of 30000
Ptas (180. Euro). For graduate students the Inscription Fee will 15000
Ptas (90. Euro). Further details will be given in the second circular.

Finally, may I ask you to distribute this message to all of your
colleagues that might be interested in the Conference. The organizing
committee is pleased to thank you in advance for you help in the
dissemination of this announcement.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need further information. We
look forward to your reply.

Ana Arrieta
Andres Arnau
Jesus Ugalde
(Local Organizing Committee)