Subject: Reduced Mass

From: Brian Space <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 14:17:47 -0400

In Gaussian output how is the reduced mass defined?
See for example the result for water below:

reduced masses (AMU), force constants (mDyne/A) and normal coordinates:
                     1                      2                      3
                    A1                     A1                     B2
 Frequencies --  1659.0480              3844.3493              3951.2790
 Red. masses --     1.0828                 1.0451                 1.0815
 Frc consts  --     1.7559                 9.1001                 9.9481
 IR Inten    --     0.0000                 0.0000                 0.0000
 Raman Activ --     0.0000                 0.0000                 0.0000
 Depolar     --     0.0000                 0.0000                 0.0000
 Atom AN      X      Y      Z        X      Y      Z        X     
Y      Z
   1   1     0.00   0.43   0.56     0.00   0.58  -0.40     0.00  -0.56  
0.43

-- 

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
Professor Brian Space
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
Duquesne University
Pittsburgh, PA 15282-1530

phone:(412)396-4732
lab  :(412)396-4369
fax:  (412)396-5683

Home: 
Home: 
1317 Sarah St.
Pittsburgh, PA 15203-1516

Home machine: [email-masked]
Home Page:
http://nexus.chemistry.duq.edu/snes/chemistry/faculty/space.html

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@