Subject: [Fwd: Federated/hyper-clusters or Computational Grids Survey]

From: Eugene Leitl <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 15:41:09 -0700 (PDT)

From: Rajkumar Buyya <[email-masked]>
Sender: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Fwd: Federated/hyper-clusters or Computational Grids Survey]
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 22:24:47 +1000

Dear All,

I am passing this email to you all as I thought that some of
you might be interested in it. If you want to create a
  clusters of Beowulfs (clusters of clusters)
i.e., combining multiple Beowulfs located in different
places/depts/organisations and solving problems on them by viewing
these distinct/multiple Beowulfs as one Beowulf, we need to address 
issues that are raised in the two papers that I pointed out below.
(see forward message below)...

The direct links to the above two papers are:
  http://www.dgs.monash.edu.au/~rajkumar/papers/GridEconomy.pdf
  http://www.dgs.monash.edu.au/~rajkumar/papers/TheGrid.pdf
Those who have comments on the above papers and notice any
serious errors, please let me know.

Thanks
Regards
Raj

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Federated/hyper-clusters or Computational Grids Survey
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 21:57:59 +1000
From: Rajkumar Buyya <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Organization: Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
To: [email-masked]

Dear All,

Recently we wrote a survey paper titled:
  The Grid: International Efforts in Global Computing
It covers issues in coupling (geographically) distributed
resources including clusters. These issues apply equally well
when we build "clusters of clusters" (also called
multi-clusters, federated clusters, or "hyperclusters"!). Those
of you interested in coupling multiple clusters located in your
organizations or different organizations might be interested
in this paper, you can download it from:
  http://www.dgs.monash.edu.au/~rajkumar/eGRID/
(go to "publications" sections to download").

If you couple multiple clusters in different organizations,
then you may want to pay for its access. If you are paying,
then you want access external resources only when it is 
absolutely necessary. Then how do you make sure that your
resource management takes these issues in to consideration
and handle scheduling such that you achieve economy of computations.
These issues have been addressed in another paper:
 "An Economy Driven Resource Management Architecture for 
  (Federated Clusters or) Global Computational Power Grids"
This paper also be download from the above page.

The direct links to the above two papers are:
  http://www.dgs.monash.edu.au/~rajkumar/papers/GridEconomy.pdf
  http://www.dgs.monash.edu.au/~rajkumar/papers/TheGrid.pdf
Those who have comments on the above papers and notice any
serious errors, please let me know.

Thanks for your time.

-- 
Best wishes,
Raj

PS: I also want create a "web page" that gives link all projects related
to clusters of clusters. If you are working on such project, can
you please pass your project URL. Also, let me know the URL of such
projects that your colleagues working on. Once I create this web page,
I will let you all know. Thanks.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe send a message body containing "unsubscribe"
to [email-masked]