Subject: Announcing Workshop on Methods for Macromolecular Modeling

From: Dan Strahs <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 14:04:23 -0400

==============================================================
International Workshop on Methods for Macromolecular Modeling (M3)
	October 12-14, New York University, New York City
==============================================================

Dear Colleague,

We are sending you this notice to announce the International Workshop on
Methods for Macromolecular Modeling (M3) which will be held October 12-14,
2000 at New York University in New York City. Please forward this
announcement to anyone who might be interested in attending. 

The purpose of our multidisciplinary workshop on Methods for
Macromolecular Modeling (M3) --- the third in a series of meetings (1994:
Lawrence, Kansas; and 1997: Berlin, Germany)  --- is to bring together
both developers of computational tools for biomolecular simulations and
those biological and chemical scientists who utilize (or are interested in
applying) computer modeling to macromolecular problems. 

TOPICS

The topics to be highlighted in M3 2000 are: 
(1) long-term molecular dynamics simulations; 
(2) conformational sampling: equilibrium and nonequilibrium processes; 
(3) multiscale modeling; 
(4) quantum/classical mechanics;
(5) fast electrostatics; and 
(6) applications to DNA modeling, enzyme catalysis, and DNA/protein 
    systems.

SPEAKERS

Confirmed speakers include: Peter Kollman (UCSF), Andy McCammon (UCSD), 
Harold Scheraga (Cornell), Tom Darden (NIEHS), Dave Beveridge (Wesleyan), 
Steve Burley (Rockefeller), Ron Elber (Cornell), James Glimm (Stony Brook), 
Leslie Greengard (Courant), Sharon Hammes-Schiffer (Penn. State), 
Barry Honig (Columbia), Robert Krasny (U. Michigan), Ron Levy (Rutgers),
Wilma Olson (Rutgers), Dinshaw Patel (Sloan-Kettering), Nina Pastor (UAEM, Mexico), 
Ursula Roethlisberger (ETH, Zurich), Benoit Roux (Cornell Med. Sch.),
Andrej Sali (Rockefeller), Chris Schuette (Freie U, Berlin), 
Jeff Skolnick (Danforth Center), Arieh Warshel (USC), and 
Eric Westhof (CNRS, France). 

We expect the participation of biomolecular modelers, applied
mathematicians, computer scientists, and anyone interested in the broad
themes. 

TRAVEL AWARD

The National Science Foundation, Department of Energy, and Burroughs
Wellcome Fund are providing funds for partial travel support and living
expenses for a number of participants in M3 2000. The funds are targeted
for graduate students, postdocs, women, and minorities interested in
macromolecular modeling research who will present posters (exceptions may
be granted to beginning graduate students or those who are considering
switching his/her field to biomolecular research). 

To apply for support, send an email to workshop organizers at
[email-masked] outlining the
(1) reasons for your interest in attending the workshop;
(2) provide an estimate of the cost needed to attend;
(3) submit an abstract before September 1, 2000 for a poster presentation; 
(4) students and postdocs should have a letter of recommendation from
    a faculty member sent to us directly (preferably by email). 
We are likely to offer a set amount to each eligible applicant. Inquiries
may also be directed to Drs. Tamar Schlick and Hin Hark Gan at our 
addresses below.

REGISTRATION

We encourage those who would like to attend to apply early since the
attendance at the workshop is limited. To register, send an email to 
[email-masked]. More information about the workshop can be found
on our website http://monod.biomath.nyu.edu/~hgan/conf_00.html

We look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely yours, 
Hin Hark Gan
Email: [email-masked] 
Tel: (212) 998-3594

Tamar Schlick, Chair of Organizing Committee
Email: [email-masked] 
Tel: (212) 998-3116 
Fax: (212) 995-4152 
Mailing address: 
Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences 
New York University 
251 Mercer Street 
New York, New York, 10012 USA

International Advisory Committee
Peter Deuflhard, Jan Hermans, Benedict Leimkuhler, Alan E. Mark, 
Sebastian Reich, Tamar Schlick, Robert Skeel

Local Organizing Committee
Richard Friesner, Hin Hark Gan, Barry Honig, Andrej Sali, Mark Tuckerman,
Harel Weinstein

Co-sponsoring organization 
Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM) Activity Group on
Life Sciences (SIAG/LS)

We appreciate the support from
****************************************************
* Burroughs Wellcome Fund                          *
* Department of Energy                             *
* National Science Foundation                      *                                        
*                                                  *
* Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences, NYU  *
* Computational Biomedicine Initiative,            *
*    Mount Sinai School of Medicine                *
* Department of Chemistry, NYU                     *
* Science Council, NYU                             *
****************************************************