Subject: PROGRAM FOR SCATTERPLOTS (STEREOSCOPIC?)

From: elewars <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 17:14:22 -0400

Thursday  2000 July 20

Hello,

Suppose one has for, say, 50 molecules, 3 properties for each molecule
(e.g. dipole moment, frontier orbital gap, ionization energy--I just
made up these three merely as an example) and wishes to *see* if  the
properties are correlated. You could create an x,y,z-type scatterplot
with a property for each axis and see how molecules with certain values
of the properties group themseves in certain parts of "property space".
Maybe there would be two or three well-defined clumps. If for each
molecule you have 4 properties you could add a fourth dimension to the
3D plot by using color.

QUESTIONS:

1) Is there a good program for creating attractive scatterplots? For
adding color and or a number (molecule #1, #2, etc.) to each point in
the plot?

2) Is there a program that will create *stereoscopic* 3D scatterplots
(for example, by showing two pictures that one can view with standard 3D
glasses), so that one can immediately see where in 3D space points lie?

I suspect that programs like Maple and Mathematica can't do all this.

Thanks

E. Lewars
=========