Subject: philosophy of computational chemistry"

From: "Alexandre Hocquet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 23:06:14 GMT

dear jens,
You may be interested in the last release of the journal "foundations of 
chemistry" (i dont have the exact reference but you may find it at 
http://www.wkap.nl/journalhome.htm/1386-4238). Its editor in chief, eric 
scerri, deals with the subject of "molecular orbital vision".

Your argued your point was not philosophical but for the people that are 
interested :

Talking about philosophy of computational chemistry, this journal is 
certainly an interesting resource as can be Hyle 
(http://www.uni-karlsruhe.de/~philosophie/hyle.html), edited by Joachim 
Schummer. These two young journals deal with philosophical aspects of 
chemistry from the point of view of chemists AND philosophers and some 
articles deal with theoretical and computational chemistry. Another valuable 
resource is the PHILCHEM mailing list (
http://www.cla.sc.edu/Phil/faculty/baird/philch.htm).

Last, i am myself in the process of adressing the subject of a "philosophy 
of computational chemistry" in a sociological manner. i intend to ask the 
CCLers what they think (this will be done in september, to maximise 
response) by asking to fill a questionnaire, just like i did it in June at 
the ICQC (International Conference on Quantum Chemistry) in Menton. The 
results will be submitted for publication in one of the two mentionned 
journals. I can send to anyone interested the abstract of the poster 
accompanying the survey in Menton.

Sincerely,

------------------------------------------------------------
Alexandre HOCQUET
Laboratoire de Physicochimie Biomoléculaire et Cellulaire
ESA CNRS 7033
[email-masked]
Fax: 0144277560
(do not dial first 0 from abroad)
LPBC, case courrier 138
4 Place Jussieu, 75252 PARIS Cedex 05 France
------------------------------------------------------------

________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com