Subject: ANNOUNCEMENT: JChemPaint 0.7

From: Christoph Steinbeck <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 17:50:49 +0200

It is my pleasure to to announce the release of JChemPaint V. 0.7 

JChemPaint is a Java 2 program for drawing 2D chemical structures like
those found in most chemistry textbooks. The program is developed as an
Open Source Project and released under GNU Lesser General Public License
(LGPL). The code should be considered  alpha quality, but there are
enough features implemented to get an idea about where the program
development is heading.  

JChemPaint is developed by Christop Steinbeck, Egon Willighagen, Stefan
Krause and others and hosted by the Chemical Information group
(http://www.ice.mpg.de/departments/ChemInf) at the Max Planck Instiutute
of Chemical Ecology (http://www.ice.mpg.de). 

New features in version 0.7:

- Carbon NMR chemical shift prediction based on one-sphere HOSE codes.
- The license was changed from GPL to LGPL.
- It is now possible to save structures as JPEG or PNG images. 
- New rendering engine, now formally part of JMDraw package.
- Rings' double bonds now displayed inside the ring instead of centered
around the ring atom coordinates. 
- New "aromatic" bond type. 
- Ability to paste structures as SMILES via the clipboard. 
- Lots of bug fixes. 
- Lots of new bugs.

For those who just want to run the program, I recommend the binary
version
(http://www.ice.mpg.de/~stein/projects/JChemPaint/JChemPaint-0.7.zip or
http://www.ice.mpg.de/~stein/projects/JChemPaint/JChemPaint-0.7.tar.gz).

More information as well as a download option can be found on
http://www.ice.mpg.de/~stein/projects/JChemPaint/. People a sought to
join the development of JChemPaint. JChemPaint is associated with the
OpenScience project (www.openscience.org) and the 3D molecular viewer
JMol (http://www.openscience.org/jmol/), both initiated  by Dan Gezelter
at the University of Notre Dame (http://www.nd.edu/~gezelter/)
I'd be happy to get some feedback from people who have downloaded the
program and got it up and running.

Cheers,

Chris

--
Dr. Christoph Steinbeck (http://www.ice.mpg.de/departments/ChemInf)
MPI of Chemical Ecology, Carl-Zeiss-Promenade 10, 07745 Jena, Germany
Tel: +49(0)3641 643644 - Fax: +49(0)3641 643665

What is man but that lofty spirit - that sense of enterprise. 
... Kirk, "I, Mudd," stardate 4513.3..