Subject: orbitals and orbital holes

From: Eric Scerri <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 10:26:04 -0800

Dear list,

The Nature article which claimed to have observed atomic orbitals in 
fact claimed to have observed an orbital hole.  What exactly is the 
reltionship between an orbital and an orbital hole?  In what sense if 
any are they complementary?  How would the elelctron density arising 
>from a particular orbital relate to the electron density arising from
the corresponding hole?

Is it reasonable to expect a d orbital hole to "look like" a d orbital itself?

regards,

-------------------------------------------------
Eric Scerri PhD,
Visiting Professor,
Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry,
UCLA,
Los Angeles,  CA 90095
USA

Editor of "Foundations of Chemistry"
http://www.wkap.nl/journalhome.htm/1386-4238