Subject: Pre-compiled excutable

From: "narisara tanvirat" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 18:56:14 GMT

Dear List

I have couple questions about installing AutoDock 3.0.5. I read the install 
instruction, but I dont quite understand how can I use a pre-compiled 
executable. In the instruction said

To use a pre-compiled exectutable:
----------------------------------
Copy the executable for your hardware type and operating system to the 
desired place, usually where-ever you keep your other programs.

If you have problems running a pre-compiled binary, you may need to compile 
your own executable, for your specific machine architecture and operating 
system version.

I dont quite understand what the instruction means by "copy the excutable 
for your hardware type and OS to the desired place".

Anyhow, since I did not understand the first option so I tried the second 
option, which is to compile my own excutables:

To compile your own executables:
--------------------------------
(1) Change directory to dist_3.0/src, and all sub-directories, like 
autotors, autogrid, and autodock.
(2) Read any README files.
(3) Edit the Makefile in each to be appropriate for your architecture.  This 
may mean commenting and uncommenting various options.
(4) Type "make" at the Unix prompt, in each sub-directory.

I tried but I could only compile one sub-directories which is protonate. I 
believed my problem was that my workstation didnt have gcc so I downloaded 
>from the internet. However, it didnt come with the installation instruction, 
so I got the error massage "gcc doesnt install".

I would like to know if any of you know how to install gcc. By the way, my 
workstation is HP9000.

Thanks

Narisara Tanvirat
Gradutate Student
Chemistry Department
California State University, Sacramento
________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com