Subject: ANNOUNCEMENT: The Predictive Toxicology Challenge 2000-2001

From: Christoph Helma <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 19:39:49 +0200

***************************** ANNOUNCEMENT ****************************** 
*                                                                       *
*             THE PREDICTIVE TOXICOLOGY CHALLENGE 2000-2001             *
*                                                                       *
*************************************************************************

We initiated the Predictive Toxicology Challenge (PTC) to stimulate the
development of advanced SAR techniques for predictive toxicology models
with nocongeneric compounds. The goal of this competition is to predict
the rodent carcinogenicity of new compounds based on the experimental
results of the US National Toxicology Program (NTP). The PTC will last
>from 2000 to 2001 and consist of four stages.

In Phase I chemical structures and carcinogenicity evaluations from
the NTP will be provided by the organizers. Participants can submit new
chemical and structural descriptors for these molecules before March 01,
2001. These submissions will be used by the model-developers in Phase II.

In Phase II predictive toxicology models based on descriptors from Phase
I may be submitted until June 01, 2001. Each submission must include
an estimation of the model accuracy according to the rules given on
the website and a translation of the model, which is understandable
by toxicologists.

In Phase III the submitted models will be evaluated on quantitative
(performance) and qualitative (toxicological relevance) scales. From all
submissions we will select a subset of "optimal" models. From these we
will (a) identify models that are particular relevant to toxicology
and (b) descriptors that were particular useful for predicting
carcinogenicity.

Finally, the results of the Predictive Toxicology Challenge 2000-2001
will be presented at a workshop of the PKDD/ECML conferences in September
2001 in Freiburg.

Detailed information about the Predictive Toxicology Challenge can be
obtained from the website http://www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/~ml/ptc/.

PS: This message was crossposted to several newsgroups and mailinglists to
reach a broad audience. Please accept my apologies if you receive multiple 
copies of this message. 

--
Christoph Helma
Machine Learning Lab
Institute for Computer Science 
Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg  
Am Flughafen 17  
D-79110 Freiburg/Br.  
Germany 
T: +49-761-203-8013, F: +49-761-203-8007 
[email-masked]
http://helma.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/