Subject: thanks and another question

From: Eric Scerri <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 12:44:05 -0800

Thank you for all the responses on sp^2 hybridization.

If I may, I have another equally elementary question.

Can Hund's rule of maximum multiplicity be derived from quantum 
mechanics or is it still to be considered as the summary of 
experimental results?

I assume one might be able to show generally from Hartree-Fock theory 
that, exchange integrals being what they are, they always lead to the 
most stable ground state for an atom as the one with highest spin 
multiplicity.

Can somebody point me to a relevant reference or show how it is done?

regards,

eric scerri
-- 
Eric Scerri ,
Visiting Professor,
UCLA,
Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry,
607 Charles E. Young Drive East,
Los Angeles,  CA 90095-1569
USA

E-mail :   [email-masked]
tel:  310 206 7443
fax:  310 206 2061
Web Page:    http://www.chem.ucla.edu/dept/Faculty/scerri/index.html

Editor  of  Foundations of Chemistry
http://www.wkap.nl/journalhome.htm/1386-4238

Also see International Society for the Philosophy of Chemistry
http://www.georgetown.edu/earleyj/ISPC.html