Subject: Summary of "visualizing vibration from Gaussian98"

From: VITORGE Pierre 094605 <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 17:31:13 +0100

I downloaded the unix version of molden, and this solved my problem (see the
answers below).
I have problem with the PC version: it requires a X-Windows Server in which
my problem is certainly originated, however since the unix version is
working, I will not try further.
 
See more details as well as aknowledgememnts: at the end of this e-mails.
 
The question was:
Hello,

I am currently using Gaussian98 on Unix workstations, entering and reading
data by using a PC (Intel Windows98), typically Chem3D, I can also use a
Mac.

As far as i know, vibrations can be visualized with GaussView or Hypechem,
unfortunately I have not got these softwares: do you know a free (or noon
expensive) software that can visualize vibrations from a Gaussian98 output
file?

Pierre Vitorge
CEA Saclay
DCC/DESD/SESD
UMR 8587 (Universite d'Evry-CNRS-CEA)
91191 Gif sur Yvette cedex
France

[email-masked]
phone +33 169-08-32-65,
secretary: +33 169-08-32-50, 
fax: +33 169-08-32-42

http://perso.club-internet.fr/vitorgen/pierre/pierre.html
<http://perso.club-internet.fr/vitorgen/pierre/pierre.html> 

___________________________________________________
the answers are
____________
MOLEN
try MOLDEN, It is freely available at
http://www.caos.kun.nl/~schaft/molden/molden.html
<http://www.caos.kun.nl/~schaft/molden/molden.html> 
http://www.caos.kun.nl/~schaft/molden/windowsnt95.html
<http://www.caos.kun.nl/~schaft/molden/windowsnt95.html> 
http://www.cmbi.kun.nl/~schaft/molden/molden.htmlat
<http://www.cmbi.kun.nl/~schaft/molden/molden.htmlat> 
ftp ftp.caos.kun.nl

It runs mainly on Unix machines, but the last version can also run on
Windows 95/98/NT machines (however, it requires a X-Windows Server software
installed to run; see the Molden page for details). As X-Server under
Windows (in Unix as well, of course : try X-Win32. Easy to use and free for
2h sessions. The demo version of X-Win32 version5.0 by Starnet.Then, if you
like it you can buy it. This demo will run for two hours and then will
shutdown and you have to reopen it once more
www.startnet.com/productinfo <http://www.startnet.com/productinfo> 
___________
GOPENMOL
essayer gOpenMol, il est assez bon et, de plus, gratuit: 
i.e: you can try gOpenMol, it is quite good and free 
http://www.chem.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/appchem/labs/kitazawa/dragoe/
<http://www.chem.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/appchem/labs/kitazawa/dragoe/>  
http://www.csc.fi/~laaksone/gopenmol/gopenmol.html
<http://www.csc.fi/~laaksone/gopenmol/gopenmol.html>  
______________
MOLDRAW
MOLDRAW is free, it reads GAUSSIAN output file (and many other formats)
visualizing vibrations.
http://www.ch.unito.it/ifm/fisica/moldraw/moldraw.html
<http://www.ch.unito.it/ifm/fisica/moldraw/moldraw.html> 
_____
JMOL
jmol (a java-based visual tool) at 
http://www.openscience.org/jmol <http://www.openscience.org/jmol> . 
_______
MOLWIN
MolWin. Look in the CCL archives, as I (E. Lewars) gave info' on this
program a couple years ago.
_______
MOLVIB
MolVib, made by Serena Software; but I don't know how much this costs.
______________
AKNOWLEDGEMENTS in the order as received:
(REMERCIEMENTS dans l'ordre de reception)
Wolfgang Roth, TU Brauschweig, Instit.f.Phys.Theor.Chem. Braunschweig,
Germany
Jesus Orduna Instit.Ciencia de Mater.Aragon, Unidad de Nuev.Mater.Orgá.,
Facultad de Ciencias CSIC-Univ. Zaragoza Spain
N. Dragoe
Dorothee Berthomieu, Lab.Mater.Catalytiques et Catalyse, Chim.Orga., CNRS,
Ecole Nationale Sup.Chim. Montpellier, France
Dr. Theodorus J.M. de Bruin, Univ.J.Fourier, LEDSS VII, Chim. Théorique CNRS
Grenoble FRANCE
Peter Dinér Ph. D. Stud., Dpt.Chem., Orga. Chem., Göteborg Univ. Sweden 
Jerome Golebiowski, Lab.Aromes, Syntheses & interactions, Univ.Nice - Sophia
Antipolis, France
...
Sergio Galembeck
Stefan
Manu
Bruce Tattershall, Dpt. Chem. Univ. Newcastle, England
Tanja van Mourik, Royal Soc. Univ., Res.Fellow Chem.Dpt., Univ.College
London, England
Theoretical Chemistry Group, Univ. of Torino, Italy
Fabrice Leclerc, Ph.D., Lab. MAEM, CNRS-UHP Nancy, France
Nicolas FERRE, Lab. Chim.Theorique, Univ. H.Poincare, Nancy, FRANCE
Sofia Godinho, Ph-D stud. ITQB-UNL, Portugal
Nicolas SAETTEL Univ.Notre Dame Dept.Chem.Biochem., NOTRE DAME,IN
E. Lewars