Subject: Time to cash on your holiday spirit {:-0}. CCL needs your help

From: Jan Labanowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 16:32:29 -0500 (EST)

Dear CCL subscribers...

A moment ago I officially posted the supporting pages for CCL at:

   http://www.ccl.net/chemistry/aboutccl/supporting/

Be generous... I really need your donations and support.
You do not have to give us much... Just whatever you think it is worth...
If you cannot help us at this moment, consider doing this when you can...
Ask yourself on how many occasions you got a tip or an idea, found about
a good job, learned what people do, started a collaboration, hired
a person, bought/got the right software... etc... etc... If you really
did not, do not help us, but if you did, now is your turn to say:
"keep it running...".

I want to use this occasion to thank also all our previous sponsors

   http://www.ccl.net/cgi-bin/donors

They donated money when I asked first time. Since that time I did not
ask for support, but I remembered. Thank you a lot... 
As you can see, those are not the people from: "Who is Rich in the World"
almanac. Those are people like you...  Thank you again...

Earlier this year, I shared with you an idea of sponsoring CCL through
voluntary memberships. You would get in exchange services from CCL.
You did not like it... So we changed the model substantially.
We now count primarily on the goodness of your heart.
We ask you for your individual donations whatever you think is
appropriate. But please encourage also your organizations to sponsor
the CCL Web Pages. This is a great way to show that they care about
the community. It is also a nice way to get exposed to a focused
readership.  Moreover, maybe they still have some leftovers to spend
before the end of tax year. Please help...

Please do not understand me wrong... The CCL really enjoys the
stable and cosy environment of Ohio Supercomputer Center. They
are our major sponsor and thanks to this environment we enjoy
the stability of 10 years of service to the community (yes, it is already
10 years -- do not worry, we will all live 100 years...).
They give as room, network, students, computers, phones, and primarily
encouragement. If not the OSC and its management, I am not sure I would
have enough stamina to keep going all these years.
However, without your help and contributions, I have only limited
opportunity to get additional resources and further develop this resource.

Last but not least, by helping CCL with donations, you educate young
and enthusiastic students in the important arcanes of Web, Internet,
system administration, hardware, networking, computer security, 
team work, etc., etc. I still get thanks from my past student assistants
for the opportunity to learn the practice of running the Internet service.
But these people need to eat, and while many of them work as volunteers,
this resource should rely on more stable basis than my sleepless nights
during finals or school breaks.

Also, if you are a part of some organization, who can help us, 
we would consider housing the web site, news service, archives, etc.,
for you. Consider it. We are 10 years in the "business", so we are not
likely to disappear tomorrow. And by entrusting us with your 
web site and discussion forum, you can not only assume that it is in
experienced hands, but you also connect with the existing broad base
of the CCL subscribers and visitors. If you have other ideas on how
you can help, please share them with us. 

Please understand that your contributions are strictly voluntary.
You do not get anything in exchange but the satisfaction that you
help us together with others. I also wanted to thank you for your
contributions to the archives, your discussions, and your patience.
For all these years, I have so many friends on the net, and sometimes
I did not have a chance to see your face... All the best for you
in this holiday season...

Jan
[email-masked]

Jan K. Labanowski            |    phone: 614-292-9279,  FAX: 614-292-7168
Ohio Supercomputer Center    |    Internet: [email-masked] 
1224 Kinnear Rd,             |    http://www.ccl.net/chemistry.html
Columbus, OH 43212-1163      |    http://www.ccl.net/