From: "E.L. Willighagen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 18:52:41 +0100 (MET)

It is our pleasure to announce the release 0.8 of JChemPaint. 

JChemPaint is a Java 2 program for drawing 2D chemical structures like
those found in most chemistry textbooks. The program is developed as an
Open Source Project and released under GNU Lesser General Public License
(LGPL). The code should have beta quality since we are approaching
release 1.0

JChemPaint is developed by Christop Steinbeck, Egon Willighagen, Martin
Schild, Stefan Krause and others and hosted by SourceForge
(http://jchempaint.sourceforge.net and 
http://sourceforge.net/projects/jchempaint)

New features in version 0.8:

- Clean up of multiple molecules in one document now works. 
- Colouring of substructures. 
- Now possible to assign charges to atoms. 
- Drawing of implicit hydrogens. 
- Structures can now be accompanied with some properties: Generator,
  Software, CAS-number and generation date.
- Insert SMILES functionality (By entering them in a pop-up window)
- Help functionality with complete user manual.
- Greatly improved website
- Export filter for SVG. 
- Print capabilities.
- Download structures from the internet (over 200.000 structures)

For those who just want to run the program, I recommend the binary
version:

Binaries:
 ZIP format: http://download.sourceforge.net/jchempaint/JChemPaint-0.8.zip
 TGZ format: http://download.sourceforge.net/jchempaint/jchempaint-0.8.tar.gz

The source code can be checkout from CVS with:

cvs -d:pserver:[email-masked]:/cvsroot/jchempaint login
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:[email-masked]:/cvsroot/jchempaint co JChemPaint

Just click ENTER when it asks for the password.

More information as well as a download option can be found on
http://jchempaint.sourceforge.net. JChemPaint is associated with the OpenScience
project (www.openscience.org) and the 3D molecular viewer Jmol
(http://www.openscience.org/jmol/), both initiated  by Dan Gezelter at
the University of Notre Dame (http://www.nd.edu/~gezelter/) 

We would be happy to get some feedback from people who have downloaded
and tested the program. Also people who want to join the development of 
JChemPaint or want to contribute code are welcomed.