Subject: molecular modelling workshop

From: Dermot Brougham <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 14:26:43 +0000

Hi,
I am currently applying for funding to run a workshop in molecular
modelling for our 4th year group (40 students). I plan to give 4-5
lectures and then have a series of workshops (maybe 4x3 hours) with
progressively less supervision as time goes on. Ending up with the
students picking a problem of their own (probably from their organic
chemistry lectures) and tackling it using whatever methods they see as
fit and then writing a short report. Maybe the people who read the CCL
have done something similar. I would be grateful for any advice,
particularly about:

Software: Best? Value for money?
Hardware: Do you need a PC each or can you have them in pairs,
threes....?
Pedagogy:     Has there been much published on this type of course?
                    What are the major issues?
                    Does the course I have outlined make pedagogical
sense?
                    Or is there a superior alternative approach?

PS. We will be using PC’s with Windows98.

-Sorry Jan if this is a little off-topic!!!

                                                    Dermot

--
Dr. Dermot Brougham,

School of Chemical Sciences,
Dublin City University,
Dublin 9,
Ireland.

Tel:  353 1 7005472
Fax:  353 1 7005503