Subject: Re: CCL:document format for ACS journals?

From: Jaime Martell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 13:21:58 -0500

At 08:51 AM 1/10/01 -0600, Bachrach, Steven wrote:
>Not often do I come to the defense of ACS pubs, I must chime in on this
>comment though in defense of ACS.
>
>I just received the referee reports for an article I submitted to JOC and
>the following is a direct quote:
>
>"Our Publication Division asks that your final copy be prepared with
>12-point type and double-spaced through all parts of the manuscript. In
>addition, please supply the final version of your manuscript on computer
>disc. Complete the enclosed "Media Description Form" and return it to us
>along with the disc. MS Word and WordPerfect software have been used most
>frequently, but the Publications Division is willing to try any word
>processor on any disc from any computer as long as it is clearly
>identified."
>
>Now I don't think they intend to process a Wordstar file from a TRS-80
>stored on an 8" floppy, but their willingness to deal with files other than
>the usual suspects is certainly reasonable and should be applauded.
>

Bravo, Steve!  Thanks for supplying the complete story to clear this up.
Apparently the Word or WordPerfect only rumour was just that; jumping to
conclusions is not the hallmark of a good scientist.  Those who choose to
not submit to or do referee work for ACS should consider that the reason
for the requested word processor documents is for more rapid publication,
something these journals have been doing a great job at and for which they
should be applauded.  I for one will continue to use JPC as my journal of
choice for publication.

Respectfully yours,
Jaime

Jaime Martell, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Chemistry
SUNY Potsdam
Potsdam, NY 13676
Phone: 315-267-2268
Fax:   315-267-3170
e-mail: [email-masked]
WWW: http://www2.potsdam.edu/marteljm/