Subject: Re: CCL:document format for ACS journals?

From: Scott Brozell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 18:02:24 -0500

Hello,

TeX is widely used in the scientific world for document preparation.
For example, The American Mathematical Society
and The American Physical Society 
provide TeX templates for abstract and manuscript submission.
http://www.ams.org/jourhtml/latexbenefits.html
http://publish.aps.org/esubs/guidelines.html#fileformat

TeX is exquisite.  TeX is free.  The TeX programs are bugless.
http://www.tug.org/
I strongly encourage the ACS to support TeX document preparation.

Scott Brozell, Ph.D.
Ohio SuperComputer Center

On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, David van der Spoel wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Dr. Martin Schuetz wrote:
 
> > On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Stefan Grimme wrote:

> > > Dear CCl users,
> > > In my opinion we all should ignore the publishers requests
> > > for articles in special formats, mostly commercial (MS). I don't like to be
> > > forced to use this software and if they don't accept formats I'm using (LaTeX),
> > > I will not consider these journals anymore.

> >I agree totally. One might even consider to go one step further and to
> >refuse any reviewing tasks for ACS journals...

> Not so fast...
> 
> According to the JPC website one can send in papers in a stripped down
> Latex, i.e., things like bold, math etc. are preserved, which is what
> counts. 
> 
> But a boycot of Nature would be in place... They can't even print an EPS
> file.

---

From: Jan Labanowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 19:14:04 -0500 (EST)

Dear CCL-ers,

I hope that it may be time to put the ACS journal format discussion to the
grave... As long as they accept paper papers, it is OK.
A paper is a paper... And you know what you can do with most of them...
[hint: read {:-)}].

When they say "No to traditional paper", we will have a problem... 
At least me... I love paper books and paper papers... 

Maybe by the time the publishers say no to paper, we will be publishing
everything in XML and each publisher will make the detailed DTD or schema.
It will be a nightmare with all these incompatible document types,
but it will be word processor independent, unless we will be
forced to accept MicroSoft proprietary extensions...

Of course, each publisher will have its own set of rules and tags.
For example, there is little hope that people will ever agree on a standard
for literature citations {:-)} and chemists (for sure) will reject any effort
to standardize the format of molecular geometry file...

So... Please... Let us go on with chemistry...

Jan
[email-masked]

P.S. We are moving CCL.NET to a new room, to new computers and a new Linux
kernel... You probably noticed that some things do not work... Let us hope that
they will, one day... We even incurred a disk crush in the process (on
our main mail server). Thank you for your donations which help us
to get new computers and parts (though the OSC generosity is in most
part responsible for this...).

Jan K. Labanowski            |    phone: 614-292-9279,  FAX: 614-292-7168
Ohio Supercomputer Center    |    Internet: [email-masked] 
1224 Kinnear Rd,             |    http://www.ccl.net/chemistry.html
Columbus, OH 43212-1163      |    http://www.ccl.net/