Subject: curves5.3

From: Jeff Saxe <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 19:45:20 -0600

Earlier this month I asked a question about the Curves5.3 program.  I
asked if anyone knew what the variable 'mv' in the eigen subroutine
should be since it was never initialized.  I finally figured it out on
my own by finding the nearly identical eigen subroutine elsewhere.  In
the Curves5.3 program only 3 values are passed into the eigen
subroutine, however in other programs a 4th value is passed in, and this
value is 'mv'.  Apparently in the Curves5.3 program the only value ever
used for 'mv' was 0, and I guess someone removed it from the call to
eigen, but never actually removed 'mv' itself from the routine.  As long
as the program is compiled such that all uninitialized variables are 0
there will be no problem, though I would recommend that you fix this if
you are using the program.

If anyone is really interested in having this program even cleaner, in
the subroutine 'locate' there is actually a 'go to 64' statement which
jumps right into the middle of an 'if-then-else' block.  It seems to
actually be okay, but I rewrote it to avoid this.

Jeff Saxe
-- 
Jeffrey D. Saxe     
BioNumerik Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Suite 400, 8122 Datapoint Dr., San Antonio, TX  78229
email [email-masked]   phone 210-614-1701 x225   fax 210-614-2892