Subject: ANNOUNCEMENT: JChemPaint 1.0

From: Christoph Steinbeck <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 18:08:10 +0100

It is our pleasure to announce the release 1.0 of JChemPaint. 

JChemPaint is a Java 2 program for drawing 2D chemical structures like
those found in most chemistry textbooks. The program is developed as an
Open Source Project and released under GNU Lesser General Public License
(LGPL). Since written in Java, the program should run under Win32,
Linux, 
Solaris, AIX and all others OS's for which Java 2 is available.

JChemPaint is developed by Christop Steinbeck, Egon Willighagen, Martin
Schild, Stefan Krause and others and hosted by SourceForge
(http://jchempaint.sourceforge.net and
http://sourceforge.net/projects/jchempaint)

Version 1.0 is a feature-freeze and bug-fix release. 
We are now going to move JChemPaint to a new base library, the Chemistry
Development Kit (CDK).
The CDK (http://compchem.sourceforge.net) is a rewrite of the old
compchem library
with clear object-oriented design and full documentation.

Changes in version 1.0:
- bugfixes for: #127756, #131892, #131898 and #128070
- New features in version 0.8:
- Clean up of multiple molecules in one document now works.
- Colouring of substructures.
- Now possible to assign charges to atoms. 
- Drawing of implicit hydrogens. 
- Structures can now be accompanied with some properties: Generator,
Software, CAS-number and generation date.
- Insert SMILES functionality (By entering them in a pop-up window)
- Help functionality with complete user manual.
- Greatly improved website
- Export filter for SVG. 
- Print capabilities.

For those who just want to run the program, we recommend the binary
version.

More information as well as a download option can be found on
http://jchempaint.sourceforge.net. JChemPaint is associated with the
OpenScience
project (www.openscience.org) and the 3D molecular viewer Jmol
(http://www.openscience.org/jmol/), both initiated  by Dan Gezelter at
the University of Notre Dame (http://www.nd.edu/~gezelter/) 

We would be happy to get some feedback from people who have downloaded
and tested the program. Also people who want to join the development of 
JChemPaint or want to contribute code are welcome.

--
Dr. Christoph Steinbeck (http://www.ice.mpg.de/departments/ChemInf)
MPI of Chemical Ecology, Carl-Zeiss-Promenade 10, 07745 Jena, Germany
Tel: +49(0)3641 643644 - Fax: +49(0)3641 643665

What is man but that lofty spirit - that sense of enterprise. 
... Kirk, "I, Mudd," stardate 4513.3..