Subject: CSA Trust 2001 Award

From: Guenter Grethe <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 13:01:39 -0800

CHEMICAL STRUCTURE ASSOCIATION TRUST  -  YEAR 2001 AWARD

The Chemical Structure Association Trust is an internationally recognised
Trust established to promote education, research or development in the area
of systems and methods for the storage, processing and retrieval of
information about chemical structures, reactions and compounds.

Applications are invited for the Year 2001 Chemical Structure Association
Trust Award. The Trust is offering an Award of up to two thousand pounds
sterling for the best applicant seeking funds for education or research in
chemical information.

Anyone working in the field of chemical information research can apply and
application can be made for funds to attend a relevant conference, for
travel (e.g. to collaborate with another research group) or for hardware or
software to assist with the research project. The award is unlikely to be
given exclusively for hardware and software.  The application should
include:

1.  A statement of academic qualifications
2.  Details of relevant work and a statement of research recently completed
by the applicant
3.  The purpose for which the award is required.  The clarity and relevance
of this statement will be crucial in the evaluation of the applicants
4.  Letters from two academic references to support the application.

Award winners are expected to write a short report, within one year of
receiving the money, giving details of how the money was spent.

The Trust has previously supported the continuation of research studies in
biomedical interactions including molecular recognition processes and drug
design; a novel combination of reaction indexing and synthesis planning;
clustering of chemical structures for property prediction; and
investigation of reaction mechanisms.  The work of younger scientists in
developing countries has also been made possible in conjunction with some of
the awards. 

Recent award winners, and their areas of research, are as follows:

-  Marina Molchanova, Zelinsky Institute of Organic Chemistry, Moscow (use
graph theoretical and combinatorial algorithms in structure generation) 
-  Weifan Zheng, University of North Carolina (QSAR and combinatorial
chemistry) 
-  Aniko Simon, University of Leeds (chemical literature data extraction) 
-  Eugene Babaev, Moscow State University (computer-assisted synthesis) 
-  Gareth Jones, University of Sheffield (for presentation of paper on
genetic algorithms at an ACS National Meeting) 
-  Vladimir Kvasnicka, Slovak Technical University (neural networks for
prediction of physiochemical properties) 
-  Rainer Herges, University of Erlangen-Nuernberg (reaction databases and
quantum chemistry)
-  Michael Wright, Imperial College London, UK (chemical document system
based on Chemical Markup Language)
-  Dr. Zaneta Nikolovska-Coleska, University of Saints Cyril and Methodius
in Skopje, Republic of Macedonia (molecular modelling methods aimed at the
de novo design of enzyme inhibitors)

Applications must be submitted by 30 May 2001, preferably by e-mail, to the
Chairman of the Awards sub-committee, Professor Michael Lynch, at: Michael F
Lynch <[email-masked]>

Any postal applications should be sent to: 
 
Dr Clive Weeks, Secretary of the Chemical Structure Association Trust
39 Rounton Road, Church Crookham, Fleet, Hants GU52 6JH, UK
 
The Award will be announced and presented at the International Chemical
Information Meeting in Annecy in October.