Subject: G98: Support is not free

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 10:07:51 -0500 (EST)

Rick Venable has written:

>> I also feel the number of Gaussian specific questions and answers is too
>> high for what is supposed to be a GENERAL discussion list, and not a
>> Gaussian help desk.
>> 
>> The main problems seem to be:
>> 
>> (1) there isn't a good Gaussian mailing list already
>> (2) product support for Gaussian is not very good
       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Let me just simply say that product support for Gaussian is excellent!
Of course, one has to pay a maintenance fee to receive such support, 8^).

Rick Venable has also written:

>> In the case of Gaussian, I am somewhat surprised that
>> the vendor hasn't shown more initiative, and established just such a
>> mailing list.

"Initiative" is a very small part of setting up and maintaining such
a mailing list. If you have been on this list long enough, you have 
learned from Jan, our benevolent list administrator, that the CCL 
requires people time and money to keep running. I very much prefer to
see the Gaussian people focus their time and effort on introducing 
new capabilities to the Gaussian product rather than funding and 
manning a support mailing list. I, too, get tired of seeing Gaussian
newbie questions, but the delete key works just as well for these 
questions as those for Autodock, Charmm, GAMES, .....

Kerwin
=========================================
 Kerwin Dobbs
 DuPont Research & Development
 Experimental Station
 P.O. Box 80328
 Wilmington  DE  19880-0328
 e-mail: [email-masked]
 
 The miracles of computational chemistry 
=========================================