Subject: RE: CCL:(Sad) news about insightII on Linux

From: David Edwards <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 20:04:42 -0700

Hi,
I'd like to clarify a couple of points regarding access of Insight II from 
a remote machine.

1. The -axxess command does provide "true" support for running Insight II 
over X windows, it is not a separate implementation but part of the 
program. We have tested this on a variety of different X clients.

2. Dr. Gillies is correct that we developed the OpenGL version of Insight 
II based on SGI's standard implementation of OpenGL. We have not tested the 
OpenGL under Xfree86 and until I became aware of this discussion thread 
have not received requests for support of OpenGL under this system. I 
cannot comment on what features Xfree86 does and does not support only that 
we believe we are using standard OpenGL calls.

Regards

David Edwards

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

David J. Edwards, Ph.D.                                 [email-masked]
Senior Product Manager, Structural Proteomics   Tel: (858) 799 5374
Simulations & Modeling Product Division         Fax: (858) 458 0136
Molecular Simulations Inc.                              http://www.msi.com
9685 Scranton Road
San Diego, CA 92121-3752.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------