Subject: [Fwd: Athlon SDR/DDR stats for *specific* gaussian98 jobs]

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 00:27:03 +0200

-------- Original Message --------
From: Velocet <[email-masked]>
Subject: Athlon SDR/DDR stats for *specific* gaussian98 jobs
To: [email-masked]

I've run a few select G98 jobs (as provided by my brother, who's the
researcher) through a number of different configurations of CPUs and
mainboards, ranging from a duron 750 on a regular old board with PC133 ram, to
the same duron on a DDR board w/256Mb DDR RAM (talk about a waste! :) right up
to a 1.3Ghz Tbird I able to borrow and put on the DDR board.

I havent had a chance to run any of these on a P4 with SSE3 (is that the
term?) optimized and recompiled gaussian and ATLAS. (If anyone is interested
in contributing such stats I'm very interested.) My stats here were generated
with ATLAS compiled for each change in config.

The freeBSD stats were with ATLAS and G98 compiled on Linux and run on FreeBSD
in Linux emulation mode (I had alot of trouble getting ATLAS *AND* G98 to
compile in FreeBSD, so I just gave up).

There are some caveats and other environmental factors discussed on
the page as well.

I am not trying to start a jihad here against high speed Thunderbird
and Dual Thunderbird proponents; this is just what i've found for *MY*
jobs (which themselves are a very small subset of what most people
would use G98 for) in *my* particular environment. They probably
have very little to do with most people's cluster designs.

http://trooper.velocet.net/~math/giocomms/benchmarks/

/kc
-- 
Ken Chase, [email-masked]  *  Velocet Communications Inc.  *  Toronto, CANADA 

_______________________________________________
Beowulf mailing list, [email-masked]
To change your subscription (digest mode or unsubscribe) visit
http://www.beowulf.org/mailman/listinfo/beowulf