Subject: PC-GAMESS, Win98 and file size limitations

From: Dario Narducci <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 11:04:10 +0200

Dear CCLers,
I use PC-GAMESS on my Win98 running PC's (64 MB, more than 6GB of free disk 
space). Carrying out somewhat heavy computations I happened to encounter 
problems with the program, crashing with a rather obscure error message 
(FSF: fatal error no. 0x00020005 in sub PACKWRIT on unit 8
Not enough memory). I know that Win98 has limitations handling large files, 
and since PC-GAMESS makes up DICTNRY, AOINTS and PUNCH files sometimes 
exceeding 2 GB I wonder if this is the actual reason for the trouble I get.
Questions are:
(1) Is really the filesize to spoil the run?
(2) Is there eventually a way to predict the size of these files?
(3) Do you know of any turnaround to this problem? Would WinNT or Win2000 
perform better?

Thank you for any help you could give me.
Best regards,

  ================================= oOo ==============================
                prof. Dario Narducci, Ph.D., Univ. of Milano Bicocca
         Dept. of Materials Science, v. R. Cozzi 53, I-20125 Milano
     ph. +39-02-6448-5137, fax -5400, mailto:[email-masked]
                      http://www.mater.unimib.it/narducci/
  ================================= oOo ==============================