Subject: Re: Problems with Dalton1.0.1 in the RedHat7.1 !?!?!

From: Andrea Ligabue <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 17:06:59 +0200 (CEST)

> I hear about problems of Linux with files bigger than
> 2.0Gb, this is true? if true, Do you know if this
> problem was fix in some Linux version ???

I was quite sure that this problem was solved with the 2.4 krenel
generation ... but dosn't seems so ...

Andrea

----------------------------------------------------------

There's no honorable way to kill, no gentle way to destroy.  
There is nothing good in war.  Except its ending.

 -- Abraham Lincoln, "The Savage Curtain", stardate 5906.5

----------------------------------------------------------

tel +39 059 2055115

---

From: Szilveszter Juhos <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 08:47:19 +0000

> 2.0Gb, this is true? if true, Do you know if this

Probably you have to make a new kernel (>2.4.0) since as 
far as I know, the big file support is not default in 2.2 
kernels. I expected RH7.1 use 2.4 kernel with bigfile, but
seems it is not the case (you can always check your
kernel version with the "uname -a" command).

Furthermore the limits (man bash <enter>/ulimit<enter>) can 
be setincorrectly though it is always unlimited for
standard installation.

There are two tracer utilities strace and ltrace that can
trace your program during run and one can figure out what 
was going wrong instead debugging, but using them you will 
need few minutes (if you are lucky) or hours to trace 
the problem.

Hope this helps:

Szilva

---

From: Kenneth Ruud <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 11:52:42 +0200

Hi!
> This is a problem of Linux or Dalton ???
> What Can I do?
>
Any Linux version with the latest 2.4 kernel will have lifted the
restriction of 2Gb file sizes. 

In addition, in the new Dalton 1.2 (due to be released during this
weekend) will have a completely new I/O-structure, which allows for
automatic splitting of files that become bigger than 2Gb, and this version
of the program will thus also work on your Redhat 7.1 Linux system.

Best regards,

Kenneth
_____________________________________________________________________
Kenneth Ruud, Dr.Philos.         E-mail    : [email-masked]
Postdoctoral researcher          Telephone : +47 77644061
Department of Chemistry          Fax       : +47 77644765
University of Tromsø
N-9037 Tromsø, NORWAY
_____________________________________________________________________