Subject: CCG Excellence Awards for Chicago ACS Meeting

From: "David Spellmeyer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 07:50:11 -0700

The American Chemical Society's (ACS) Division of Computers and
Chemistry (COMP) and Chemical Computing Group (CCG), are pleased to
announce the winners of the CCG Excellence Awards for the Fall ACS
National Meeting, to be held in Chicago, IL from August 26-30, 2001.

In alphabetical order, the winners are:

Caterina Bissantz for the paper entitled "Virtual Screening of Chemical
Databases: Application of G-protein Coupled Receptors".  Co-authors on
the paper are Gerd Folkers and Didier Rognan.  Ms. Bissantz is a
graduate student in Dr. Folkers' labs in the Department of Applied
Bioscience at the ETH in Zurich, Switzerland.

Catherine Check for the paper entitled "Augmentation of the LANL2DZ
Basis Set Under B3LYP and MP2 Models to Improve Calculated Results for p
block Elements".  Co-authors on the paper are Thomas M. Gilbert, Lee S.
Sunderlin, Timothy O. Faust, John M. Bailey, and Brian J. Wright.  Ms.
Check is a graduate student in the Physical Chemistry Division at
Northern Illinois University in Dekalb, Illinois, working with Drs.
Gilbert and Sunderlin.

Norge Cruz Hernández for the paper entitled "DFT and Molecular Dynamic
Study of the ScN, TiN and VN Materials".  Co-author on the paper is
Javier Fernández Sanz.  Mr. Cruz Hernández is a graduate student in Dr.
Fernández Sanz's labs in the Department of Physical Chemistry at Seville
University, Spain.

Ohyun Kwon for the paper entitled "Theoretical Studies of Main Group
Metallocenes".  Co-author on the paper is Michael L. McKee.  Mr. Kwon is
a graduate student in Dr. McKee's labs in the Department of Chemistry at
Auburn University in Auburn, Alabama.

Nelaine Mora-Diez for the paper entitled "Theoretical Calculations in
Atmospheric Chemistry: OH and NO3 Hydrogen-Abstraction Reactions from
Aldehydes."  Co-authors on the paper are J. Raúl Alvarez-Idaboy, Annik
Vivier-Bunge, and Russell J. Boyd.  Ms. Mora-Diez is a graduate student
in Dr. Boyd's labs in the Department of Chemistry at Dalhousie
University in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.

The CCG Excellence Awards have been created to stimulate graduate
student participation in COMP Division activities (symposia and poster
sessions) at ACS National Meetings. Winners will receive a one-year
software license of CCG's MOE (Molecular Operating Environment) for
their academic research groups, in addition to travel costs associated
with attending an ACS National Meeting to present their research.

Awardees are chosen on the basis of the quality and significance of the
research to be presented and the strength of the supporting materials.  

Please join us in congratulating the winners of the CCG Excellence
Awards for the Chicago ACS Meeting.  We will present the awards at the
COMP Poster Session (Tuesday Evening in McCormick Place South).

Applications for the next round of CCG Excellence Awards will be
accepted shortly.  Application for these awards is a two-step process.
First, one must submit an abstract through the ACS OASYS system for
online paper submissions.  Secondly, an application for the Award must
be submitted to the Treasurer of the COMP division for consideration.  

Deadlines for these two steps are different to allow graduate students
time to compile the additional paperwork needed to complete the
application.  Deadlines for the 2002 Spring National Meeting to be held
in Orlando, FL, will be announced shortly.  Online submission of
abstracts to the Orlando Meeting will be opened sometime in
mid-September and close at midnight eastern time on Monday November 12,
2001.  The website will be www.acs.org/meetings/orlando2002.  Supporting
materials must include an extended 1-2 page abstract for your paper
along with a letter of support from your research advisor, a two-page CV
and a personal statement.  Deadline for supporting information will be
announced after the Chicago National Meeting is completed.

All graduate students are encouraged to submit applications for the
Awards.   Students from the same research group are encouraged to apply.
Students from research groups that have won awards at previous ACS
meetings are also encouraged to submit applications.  Awards will be
given only to those individuals making presentations, and not
co-authors.

Send all application materials to:

Prof. Curt M. Breneman; Treasurer, ACS COMP Division; RPI Department of
Chemistry; 110 8th St.; Troy, NY 12180

============================
David Spellmeyer
Chair (2001), Computers in Chemistry Division of the ACS
Chief Scientific Officer, VP Drug Discovery
Signature BioScience, Inc.
21124 Cabot Boulevard
Hayward, CA 94545-1130
Main: 510-576-2334
FAX: 510-576-2434
Direct: 510-576-2404
[email-masked]