Subject: Chime is incompatible with latest Microsoft Internet Explorer

From: "Kieran F Lim (Lim Pak Kwan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 15:03:19 +1000

Hello everyone,

Netscape Chime and Chime Pro are very useful chemistry web-browser plug-ins.
I just got this information from the MDL Information web site
    http://www.mdli.com/cgi/dynamic/welcome.html

Kieran

============================================

Microsoft IE 5.5 SP2 Does Not Support Chime and Chime Pro

August 3, 2001

Dear Chime and Chime Pro users:

MDL has learned that a new service pack of the Microsoft Internet 
Explorer browser (5.5 SP2) has been released today without support 
for the Netscape plug-in interface used by Chime and Chime Pro. Our 
understanding is that future versions of Microsoft Internet Explorer 
will also lack this interface. This would mean that the Chime and 
Chime Pro plug-ins would not be supported on these new versions of 
Microsoft Internet Explorer (including 6.0) until further notice. 
This issue does not affect the Netscape Communicator 4.7 browser.

MDL is working closely with Microsoft to evaluate alternatives for 
supporting Chime and Chime Pro with new versions of Internet 
Explorer.  Until further notice, Chime and Chime Pro users should 
continue to use older versions of Internet Explorer (5.5 SP1 and 
lower) or Netscape Communicator 4.7, which are supported with Chime 
and Chime Pro 2.6 SP2.

MDL will post updates to this information and the Hardware and 
Software requirements on its MDL Chime site at the following URL:

http://www.mdlchime.com/chime

Thank you for your patience and understanding while we address these issues.

Regards,

MDL Chime Product Management
------------------------------------------------------------
  Dr Kieran F Lim             Biol. and Chemical Sciences
  (Lim Pak Kwan)              Deakin University
  ph:  + [61] (3) 5227-2146   Geelong          VIC   3217
  fax: + [61] (3) 5227-1040   AUSTRALIA
  mailto:[email-masked]    http://www.deakin.edu.au/~lim