Subject: How to support CCL -- a short course with examples

From: Jan Labanowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 14:04:17 -0400 (EDT)

Dear CCL Establishment... (You see how satisfying I am trying to be...)

Several people asked me for details on supporting CCL financially,
So I will share it with all of you (there may be some of you who
"always wanted to know, but were afraid to ask"). Please read on, and
have a change of heart.  I admit that on the CCL Web site I am caught in
the impossible catch 22 -- should I first make people happy about supporting
CCL, or should I tell them first how to support it. Anyhow... If you consider
this resource useful, help me keep it and grow it... 

How can you help CCL?

  1) By giving me a DONATION which is tax deductible at least in the US (we
     are an academic organization and you will get a thank-you-letter from
     The Ohio State University confirming your donation and you can use it
     for tax purposes). Just send (Jan Labanowski) a check made to:
           OSC Development Fund (CCL)
     You can also FAX (614-688-3998) me a simple form if you prefer to charge
     it to a Visa or MC:

                  OSC Development Fund (CCL)

         Amount of CCL Donation:.......................

         Your Name on the Credit Card:.................

         Credit Card (Visa or MC)......................

         Credit Card Number:...........................

         Expiration Date on the card: .................

         Signature and date: ..........................  

     Use the FAX number: 614-688-3998 which is located in the OSC business
     office and is under lock and key (i.e., your Credit Card Number is safe)..
     Do not hesitate to give me a donation, if you can give me only small
     amount (say, 30 USD is practically the smallest donation that my OSC
     accountants want to process). Many small donations will do too {:-)}.
     And beside, if I hava a large number of donationa, I can claim wide
     community support which may help me a bit in twisting some arms when
     I need to show the need for CCL and the good publicity it brings to my
     parent organization.

     If you (or your institution) gives me 500 USD or more, I will place
     your logo-and-link on any CCL page you desire (send me e-mail where
     you want it, or I will bug you anyhow for this information, once I get
     the money from you).
     
  2) You CAN BUY one (or more) CCL Archives Sets on CD. They contain copies
     of all files from the CCL Web and FTP site. They are 250 USD
     a piece. You can send me a check, or FAX a simple order to the FAX
     given above. You can also send me a Purchase Order, and Bank transfers
     and whatever. Send me e-mail, and I will provide you with quotations,
     and information, and whatever else your "pencil pushers" need to be
     happy and needed. This payment is not tax deductible, since it is
     a service/sale. Which charge not for the information on them, but the
     work needed to produce them. This is a set of 4 CDs (about 2 Gigabytes
     of files) which are burned always fresh.  You can mount them on your
     local machine, and browse/search/grep them locally rather then use a slow
     or busy network. You can easily justify it in your project, since there
     is a lot of information and software on these CDs. I will thank you on
     the Supporters Page (which is accessible from the CCL home page:
          http://www.ccl.net
     and if you buy more than 2 CD sets (i.e., 3 sets or more), I will thank
     you in a similar way, I am thanking the major donors (i.e., logo/link on
     the page of your choice). Talk to me... (and pay... {:-D} ).

  3) Of course, some people cannot help financially and they may need money
     even more then I do. But all of you can help with contributing new
     material to the archives, good discussions on the list, and with your
     comments and suggestions. If your contribution is good and thoughful,
     it may be worth a real gold for the CCL.

And so... (sorry, I could not resist the popular cliche...), my fellow CCL
subscribers: ask not what your CCL can do for you--ask what you can do
for your CCL. [Source: http://www.cs.umb.edu/jfklibrary/j012061.htm -- 
Gosh... was his speach writer good...].

There is more information about CCL on CCL web site:
    http://www.ccl.net/chemistry/aboutccl/supporting

As an example of my contribution to the CCL archives, check:
   http://www.ccl.net/cca/software/UNIX/netfilter/
a step by step instructions on how to use an old PC to create a powerful
firewall (protect your computers) and masquarading router (attach many
computers to a single IP address, and they will look like each has its
own IP address) for your home or office (BTW, comments and fixes welcome).

Jan

Jan K. Labanowski            |    phone: 614-292-9279,  FAX: 614-292-7168
Ohio Supercomputer Center    |    Internet: [email-masked] 
1224 Kinnear Rd,             |    http://www.ccl.net/chemistry.html
Columbus, OH 43212-1163      |    http://www.ccl.net/